Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Extra income ideas...?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM
  • 18 Replies

I am a single mother of 3. I am trying to go back to college because the child support ends in 6 years, but I keep hitting a wall, this time, I cannot get a full degree online in the state I live. I dont live close to a college, and I cannot uproot my children and go live on campus like I'm 20! 

Until I figure things out, I need to generate some extra money. As we have experienced some changes and can pay our bills but when it comes to things other than those, (car repairs, clothes, shoes, birthday gifts etc) I need to find something. If I get a minimum wage job my children will lose their insurance. 

I live in a very impoverished small town (1300 ppl), there are no opportunities (not even a walmart for over an hour drive!), aside from 3 fast food restaurants. 

I dont have a lot of skill, and quit college over 20 yrs ago....Does anyone have any input or ideas?. Everyone here has family to babysit, etc. So such as that isnt an option. 

thanks. 

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Can I ask why you cant get a full degree online?  What program are you trying to go to school for?  I only ask because I am working on my bachelors in business administration and am able to do it all online through a regular college (they have both in class and online courses). 

lnrmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM

You can get a full degree online, completely online, through more than one university. May I suggest http://www.sckans.edu/. It's a small brick and mortar school in Winfield, KS that has a completely online program. check it out.

Ebay and amazon are where I'm gearing up to earn some extra money. I need to get out of a financial hole and fast, and I need to declutter my house, so there you go. :)

NaviHope
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I have a friend that started doing cupcake stands for events.  She seems to be doing very well with this.  I'm not sure if you’re a baker...I have another friend that does a lot of selling on eBay.  Her family and friends give her their "treasures" and she sells everything.  Lastly I have a friend who braids hair, but maybe if you have any marketable skill, that could be your income.  If you're good with numbers then do people's taxes.  If you good with computers, then install software or trouble shoot.  Good luck.

Navi

mommy2zbg
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:29 AM

how about crafts? I am going to try to learn to make homecoming mums. that way if all works out and turns out good then that will be extra money during Football season.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Do you already have a fulltime out of the home job?
Mznaye
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Leapforce and Lionbridge
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:49 PM
What is this?
Quoting Mznaye:

Leapforce and Lionbridge
Mznaye
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Online jobs. Heard about them in my wah group

Quoting virginiamama71:

What is this?

Quoting Mznaye:

Leapforce and Lionbridge
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:03 PM
What kind of work is it?
Quoting Mznaye:

Quoting virginiamama71:

What is this?

Quoting Mznaye:

Leapforce and Lionbridge
Mznaye
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Not sure.

Quoting virginiamama71:

What kind of work is it?

Quoting Mznaye:

Quoting virginiamama71:

What is this?

Quoting Mznaye:

Leapforce and Lionbridge
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)