Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

dave ramsey as a single mom?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM
  • 19 Replies
Is doing his budget, and getting out of debt even possible as a single mom? Have any of you done it? If so any tips??
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I have never done it but heard AMAZING things about it. I think it can't hurt to try, right? I would like to do it someday, with my schedule now it's just not possible but I think you should give it a shot. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

plprincess78
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I'm sure it's possible just difficult.  But if you put your mind to it you can do just about anything.  I'm not following Dave Ramsey per se but I am working towards getting out of debt.  I'm slowly getting there.  My goal is 10 yrs.  To be completely out of debt and that includes over 50K of student loans.

cshepard
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never even looked at Dave Ramsey but I'm a single mom and I'm looking to get a 2nd job for 6months-1 year to pay off my debt.
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I'm sure it's very possible. I may be tough and you may have to cut out things you really like but in the end, it is better to be out of debt.

I think the first thing would be to figure out all your bills and see where you can cut and then set a budget from there.

i am really thinking of getting rid of or majorly cutting back our Dish Network. I want to reduce my car payment but I don't think that will work right now. I've considered getting a 2nd job but I don't think it would make much difference in the long run with taxes and limited hours I'd be available to work.

GoldenLinds
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Dave Ramsey is fantastic but one of yhe things that makes it hard as a single parent is that its going to push the idea of sacrifocong ANY time with your children to make money for a while. As a couple that is hard enough. As a single mom you would have to practically foster your children oit for 6months. It can be done but it will turn your life upside down first and things will be exponentially harder. Do it anyway. Take the seminar. Even if you don't follow it strictly its an exellent tool and you can always come back to it again and again.
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm a single mom with no income other than my own. I own my home have a car and no debt aside from those. I sacrifice we don't eat out and I budget it's possible to be done
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't be doable.  Give it a try.

Collisa
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I took the Financial Peace University course a few years back, and have done the budget ever since. The principles are right on. I wasn't in debt, but I also wasn't budgeting and was constantly spending more than I had, and didn't know where my money was going. I think applying his principles is especially important for a single mom. The more difficult your situation, the more important it is to apply them.

katfeemom
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I am a single mom.  I do get 'some' support, but C/S ends when the kids are of age, so that won't be forever.  I am also disabled (working on getting disability).  I know that due to my disability, I won't be able to work for too much longer.  I am currently taking Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University.  We're only on the second week.

For me, its not that I am IN debt, it's that I want to prevent that.  I want to live TODAY and have a life TOMORROW...

Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:57 PM
3 moms liked this
You should make a post on how you budget to help out.

Quoting LifeCafe42:

I'm a single mom with no income other than my own. I own my home have a car and no debt aside from those. I sacrifice we don't eat out and I budget it's possible to be done
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)