Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Road Trip

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hey All :),

Just got back from a trip with another single mom and her son, who is my son's friend from school.

They had a ball! We went to an indoor water park that had a hotel and all kinds of stuff in it :). It was right down the street from Kalahari and Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH.

It reminded me of Florida a lot :). And it was so nice to get away from all the stress of all the usual stuff that has to get done, lol

The only thing that bothered me was that the other mom was really stressed out and frustrated a lot. I kept taking it personally and thinking it was me. I'm a very sensitive person, so I pick up on other peoples' moods very easily.

She would just act mad and irritated and not want to talk about it. I'd be in a happy mood and just enjoying everything and then it would bother me, but not a lot. I would just go do something or put the focus back on the boys and it would get better.

That was the only negative thing about the trip. I was tired when we got back, but happy to be home, too :).

One thing I learned about myself this week and is I'm getting stronger. A lot of stuff went wrong, but I didn't get that upset about it. Not nearly as much as I've had before. I'm usually kind of a drama queen, but lately, I've been just keeping myself focused on Plan B when I'm confronted with any obstacle.

I was still happy, for the most part, this weekend, in spite of the obstacles :). I guess I'm learning how to let go of some stuff as it arises :).

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Glad you had a good time!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM

sounds like fun

Robsessed98
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Glad you had a good time. Don't take other people's moods personal. If you're their issue, they should talk to you about it. If they don't, it's their problem, not yours.
easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad to hear you had a good time!

lnrmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome!

Cricket2013
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Yup. Either I need to grow a thicker skin or try to avoid people who are that way in the future.

It's kind of a sticky situation, bc I don't feel like I can be her friend, but her son and my son are the best of friends and get along great :).

The next time she asks to do thing, I should probably just send my son with some money and not go along. I honestly don't feel comfortable with this girl.

Plus, I tried to back out of this trip and she said that she needed the money from us, to pay a credit card bill. Yet, she took her son to Toys R Us, Target and Wal Mart right after we parted way.

So I suspect she lied to me or was paying with a credit card. Plus, she's a dental hygenist and probably makes a lot of money, so she might've lied to try to get us to go on the trip, so that her son wouldn't be disappointed. He's an old child, too, and gets his way a lot more than my son does, lol

One of my life's lessons is saying No to people. So of course, I'm suffering the repercussions of it, once again

I've got two herniated discs, which have been causing me sciatica pain. I hurt my back last March and it was getting better after two cortisone shots.

But I was carrying a lot of bags around, so I hurt my back all over again. So today I'm laid up. I have to go back to the doctor for my back and my knees next week, too

And my son is home from school, from a bug he must've picked up from the trip. He has to miss football practice tonight, too.

I need to remember all of this next time this girl calls, lol. Because I don't think she's good for me and Keith is okay if he doesn't see her son that much. But her son is kind of getting addicted to Keith, which is not good

Hmmm, as I'm writing this, I'm seeing more and more red flags. I think it's time to get to know the football friends better. I think they're much better for my son. Plus, my son respects them a lot, too, and that is good :)

The football mom's seem a lot healthier for me, too. They seem like they wouldn't take advantage either, like this girl does all the time

Thanks for listening :). I guess I needed to vent :)

Have a great day :)

steviechick
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I completely get what you are saying.  I decided to share a condo with my little sister in FL in July.   I haven't seen her or my nieces in years.  It was a time to get caught up on lost time and bond.  Unfortunately, my sister sometimes gets high strung on things.  She gets over sensitive whereas I am more calm and easy going.  She has a special needs daughter and got a little frazzled whenever her daughter needed her attention (which was a lot).  I get that, but she did take it out on me a few times.  The trip was fun, but I think next year it will be me and hopefully the guy I'm dating.  I love my sister, but she has always had a quick temperment.  I wish I could see her more often but I live too far away.  If I spent more time with her and family I could help her with my special needs niece.  She has two other girls that are older (11 and 9).  Very sweet girls and have become very low maintenance as they get older.  Having a special needs child has it's ups and downs.  My niece is a mixed bag.  So precious but yet can't help her situation.  I tried to help but didn't quite know how to deal with her sometimes.  She was mostly in a wheelchair and could barely sit on her own.  My sister has a huge heart but at the same time gets frazzled.  It did interfere with how we interacted with each other a few times. 

Cricket2013
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM

That's so good of you to be so understanding :). You sound like a great sister :)

My sister is the same way. Her son was born three months early, so she got pretty high strung, too. It seems like years of stress can do that to a person.

The girl that I went on the trip with has kidney problems to the point where she might need a transplant. Her mom lives two hours away and isn't always readily available if she has to be hospitalized.

Wow, i forgot all about that. i should try to have a heart. I'm usually a lot more compassionate than I was today, but I've been up in pain for two nights now with my back. So I've been all wrapped up in myself, lol.

I'll be there for her, if she ever needs help. I'd be there for anybody, but I really need to look out for myself a lot better. It's okay to help people, but not at my own expense.

To give with a full heart is the most fun way to give. But to give if I'm running on empty can lead to resentment.

Wow, the more I write the more I learn, lol. This is really good for me :)

So glad you had fun with your sister :). A condo in FL must've been fun :). My sister lives in Orlando, and we go to Disney when we go visit her :)

Anyway, have a great rest of the day :)

Cricket2013
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM

My sister is a single mom, too :)

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Glad you had fun
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)