Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Older Single Mom

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:26 AM
  • 17 Replies

Hi! I'm an older single mom. My kids are leaving the nest after living with their father since the divorce. But I miss them and am wondering how to adjust to the "empty nest". It's so different! I'm glad to join Single Moms!

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaJewels2011
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Welcome!
MYBABYANDI
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:45 AM

omg i hate being alone. my sons father died in 2003 and its just been him and i since.  when my son gets older and ready 2 leave i dont know what imma do   -hugs-

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM

welcome

deltathree
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Hi & welcome.

steviechick
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.  I'm 49 and I have a daughter living at home with me.  She's going to college and working part-time.  It's hard to adjust to the 'empty nest' thing.  I did for a year.  My daughter decided to move back home to save money for college.  I lived alone for entire year hating the loneliness the most.  Seeing her empty room and not hearing her voice nor seeing her face everyday.  You have to adjust by staying busy.  Either with busy with friends or finding a hobby or interest to do.  Perhaps you can join a local church group.

Robsessed98
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Welcome to the group. My dds are grown now and, even though dd1 and her kids are back with me for now, I enjoyed the empty nest. Enjoy spending time with them when you can, but take advantage of the next phase of your life and have fun with it. You dedicated all those years to raising them, now you're done and it's time for you to have your own life. It's your reward for a job well done :)
WatchmansMoon
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Welcome Stargazer!  My youngest just left for college last month, so I feel for you.  Do you have any projects around your house, or crafts, etc that you've put off doing?  It may be a good idea to start something that will be both rewarding and time consuming, just to keep yourself busy.  I'm trying to stay busy, even just doing "Spring cleaning" around the house.  It's rewarding too, in that once cleaned and organized... it's actually staying that way!  Amazing :)  Make sure you spend lots of time with your friends and family as well, if you don't have many around you right now, you may want to look into joining some kind of club or community outreach.  Craft group, bridge players, church group/outreach ministry, even volunteering at a homeless shelter or visiting a nursing home ~ they always need help!  People need people, and you'll find you receive more than you give when you volunteer.  Hugs and blessings to you!

easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Welcome!

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM

isn't that the point where you get to walk around naked and sleep in til you feel like getting up on the weekends?  

cause if so, that sounds like heaven! 

OCALAMOMOFTWINS
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Welcome! I am also an older single mom, but I am just starting out with 2yr old twins. I had an empty nest all my life. I put a couple of chicks in it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)