Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Feeling guilty for going back to work outside the home

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:10 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am kind of at a crossroads with my job where i have worked for 4.5 years. I telecommute almost every day in sales, work on commission only with no health benefits. Now that I am divorced I'm starting to feel the brunt. My sales has tapered off and its been really tough for me to find new accounts because we are small and don't have much name recognition. Up until a few months ago I have made good but that has changed. My sales numbers for July, and Aug were not great and Sept is a little slow. Last month for the fist time EVER I barely paid my bills. I have loved working at home and taking my kids to and from school and having basically no childcare to worry about. That is about to change.

I have an offer I have until tomorrow to take. A few of my friends work over there. Its base plus comm plus full benefits package and its only 15 minutes away plus 21 PTO days a year (pto, sick., personal mixed in). Money will be close to what I am used to making if I hit my sales quotas. It is not really cold calling its warm leads I am in charge of web sales. It's calling customers, most who buy from us at auctions, and getting them to buy from the website. Commission is uncapped. I am going to work something out with my boss so my accounts will be turned over to someone else and I will still get some credit for the first few months. These were may accts when i came to work here, it is fair if I give him my acct book I gtet paid on it. So i will have extra income for the next few months while I get started at my new job.

I am going to need to arrange getting my kids from school. I am going to try to avoid paying after school care its too expensive. My daughter just needs to be taken to her math tutoring after school 3 days a week and I have no idea what to do with my son yet. I am thinking about asking a friend of mine/parent at the school if they will take Luke until I work out after school care. My parents are leaving town for over a week the day I start so they cant help until the following week. I am already feeling bad I am not going to be as acessible to my kids as I usaully am. Please tell me I am making the right choice. I have tyried to do a second job from home but one tech issue after another has prevented me from working it.

My friend also owns a fast growing logistics company and I'm meeting with him today to also discuss a position before I officially accept the other offer.

Thanks for letting me vent

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Robsessed98
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Congrats. I don't see any reason to not take the job. If the kids are in school, you're not giving up that much time. Good luck.
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I am going to take the job I think. My boss wants to talk to me about still working for him so that is still open but for bow I will email my acceptance.

I also am thinking about going to school part time at night something in the medical field. I am 41 so I already feel old.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM
It's not easy but you have to do what you have to do. Have you checked if your kids school has an after school program a lot of schools have free or low cost and they help with homework
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I know that it may be hard to make that change but sometimes you have to look at the big picture and see that overall the change will probably be a good thing for you.  Good luck!!

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM

The kids have a before school program I am going to have to put them into since I have to work at 7. After school my daughter goes to math tutoring between my ex and my parents I hope they can be picked up I am off at 4 anyways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)