Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Playing instruments?

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:49 PM
  • 16 Replies

Do your kids play any instruments? What kind? How old are they?

My son (he's 8) came home today with a sign up sheet to play orchestra. He has the option to choose from the viola, violin or cello and he has chosen the violin. It's a yearlong commitment and I have to rent/buy the violin and get it music book. Sounds like fun!

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krisnkids
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:45 PM

My 8yo (almost 9) is playing the viola, she is rather tiny so I figured the smaller the better. The school provides the instruments, and they go to orchestra once a week. They won't become crazy professionals like that but they will learn the instrument and if they like it without an investment.

Good luck to your son, I'm sure he'll love it.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Not now. He has always been interested in sports, but not music.
MaddieLainesMom
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD is working on the guitar. Her hands are a bit small for it still, but my SO has taught her some chords and simple melodies she'll play. She also likes to just mess around and strum like crazy. She's 6 and started experimenting with it around 2-3. 

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM
So adorable!! The violin will be my sons first time playing an instrument

Quoting MaddieLainesMom:

My DD is working on the guitar. Her hands are a bit small for it still, but my SO has taught her some chords and simple melodies she'll play. She also likes to just mess around and strum like crazy. She's 6 and started experimenting with it around 2-3. 

diaperstodating
by Angel on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM

My (third grade) son got the same letter! I was really hoping that he would want to play an instrument (my older two son's don't play anything either) but he is not interested.

MaddieLainesMom
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM

That's awesome! I'm so lucky my daughter has been exposed to music and had access to instruments from the time she was tiny. So many of my friends and my SO are musical and I think it's really awesome to hang out at home and sing songs and play music together. I also think the skill of reading music is awesome to have. DD's working on it, but is taking a bit of time. Learning to read words and music at the same time is a bit much!

Quoting SexyDiva19:

So adorable!! The violin will be my sons first time playing an instrument

Quoting MaddieLainesMom:

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:16 PM

sadly no, Last year my daughter was going to learn to play the violin but quit for other reasonings that I was ok with.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM

My son starts in band next year if he wants to.

steviechick
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM

My daughter took piano lessons when she was younger.  She did quite well.  It stopped because we couldn't afford to keep her in lessons.  I'm sure she would be playing even better today if we had kept it up. 

Robsessed98
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM
My girls played the flute for a couple of years, but lost interest.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)