Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Off Switch

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:06 AM
  • 18 Replies

SO yesterday I was hanging out with my friend. He and I are both single parents. As we were talking, I confided in him that I had pulled myself out of the dating game. If I wanted to get back out there, I dont think I would know how. It's as if I hit some kind of "off switch" and I dont have that desire anymore. He happen to feel the same way. We both commented how if the opposite sex were to hit on us...we would act casual then carry on without realizing they were into us. It was funny. Yet kinda weird at the same time. 

My question is: How many of you have felt like this? Just hit that ol' off switch and care about only your babies? Does it pass? Or does it take a special someone to "turn back on"?

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Collisa
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I think "off switches" are very complicated. My switch was off for years, because I was focused on my kids (still am), and I was pretty broken and shut down to men. I've been trying to flip it back on these past few years, but I'm so busy it's hard to find time!

Friendship is the best foundation for marriage anyway. So I guess making friends is a good start. If I had time to get out of the house.

steviechick
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Well, in my case my daughter is in college so she's 'less maintenance' then she was a few years ago.  The last few years of my marriage I practically raised our daughter.  The ex wasn't around very much and I found myself lonely most of the time.  If I had kids still to take care I wouldn't be dating someone right now.  All of my time and energy would be on them and not on my own wants and needs.  I would only go back to a an 'off switch' if the guy I was currently seeing and I suddenly broke up.  I would need that 'off switch' for time to take off from dating. 

easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I've done that off and on before.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

That's where I'm at.  I'm focusing on raising my sons.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Hahaha!  I can absolutely relate!  I don't think I even remember where the switch is to turn it back on. ;)

alexis_06
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM

i had the off switch on for a while, but omg its on now and nothings happening!!! :(

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Mine is off. My ex was my only boyfriend and we started dating when I was 14. I have absolutely no idea what to do.
achavez219
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I know the feeling :( my late dh was my only bf & I had been with him since I was 16. I'm clueless to the dating game..

Quoting cjsmom1:

Mine is off. My ex was my only boyfriend and we started dating when I was 14. I have absolutely no idea what to do.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard because I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm still pretty young (26).

Quoting achavez219:

I know the feeling :( my late dh was my only bf & I had been with him since I was 16. I'm clueless to the dating game..

Quoting cjsmom1:

BeckBeck1004
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I suppose it's good to have an off switch. It's time to resolve our issues and lick our wounds. I think while I'm "off" I'm just focusing on making a better me. I chose a good man to be the father of my son but a man not willing to commit nonetheless. So I gots to do better! =p I firmly believe we attract what we give out. My biggest fear is being vulnerable. I think when I'm ready that "off switch" will turn on itself and when the time is right....I'll see some results. Fingers crossed! lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN