Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Wal-Mart Stories!!!

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM
  • 13 Replies

I just got a call for a position at Wal-Mart!!! I need a night job so I said why not lol Thing is....it might be a cashier position and I have little to none experience in that lol Also, dealing with "special people" that come thru Wal-mart has me a lil anxious lol Oh, by special I mean those people you see with people wearing lil to no clothes lettin it all hang out. Or extremely rude and obnoxious kinda special peoples. 

Anyways, do you ladies have any Wal-mart stories you want to share? Or any advice on how to prepare myself for a cashier and possibly on how to deal with certain situations that may arise? 

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steviechick
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't go shopping at Wal-Mart all that much, so I am of little help.  What I do find amazing is all the lowlifes that shop there.  The cheap price that Wal-Mart sells their stuff for attracks all kinds of odd people.  I even think the ones that show up looking half-dressed are there just to get attention. 

PadysMomy
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:46 PM
3 moms liked this

Yea. I've worked as a cashier at Walmart for 5 years. One thing, if a customer buys pants that are Large and up, they cost $2.00 more. I had a problem w/ one cust who insisted that the pants were 10.00 instead of 12.00. I wasn't going to argue w/ them, so I called mgr 2 talk to them. (Word of advice, always let mgmt handle a disgruntled cust).

Also, try to red line (it means standing in front of reg to attract cust) if you can bc mgmt will tell you to do that if you're just hanging around the register. If you don't want to do that, then pretend you are cleaning reg, organizing your till bag (that holds WIC, coupons, etc--you turn that in w/ money from register in acct. at end of shift), putting more bags on. Just look busy for management, but not so busy 4 customers. 

Also, when paging management, flash your light FIRST and then use your phone or walkie to page CSM (cust service mgr) to your register.

For money, count coins in 2s like you would big bills (e.g. pennies 2,4,6,8; nickles: 10, 20, 30; dimes: 20,40,60; quarters: 50, 100, 150, 200). W the bills, make sure you mark the 20s, 50s and 100s since some can be counterfeit (they will give you a marker that does that). Also, if someone hands you a roll of coins wrapped, make sure you count all the money in their or you'll end up short--trust me, i've gotten in trouble for this.

Also, if a cust SAYS something is on sale for less than a dollar, then override it. Otherwise, check with management if you can approve the override. B/C sometimes marked down items that need to be overriden w/ mgmt approval.

If you have a disgruntled cust, just try and stay calm and ask if they would like to speak w/ mgmt and apologize.

If a product requires ID (aside from cigs and alcohol, there's R rated movies and M rated video games, canned air, cough medicine, etc), PLEASE check ID if they LOOK under 24. If they give you sh*t then say "I'm sorry, I cannot sell you this. I could get in very big trouble if I do." some will understand. If they persist, call mgmt. Let them handle it. Also there will b people who DO have ID will try to do 'third-party sale', which means a person tries to buy a restricted item for a minor. Refuse them that sale.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Cenedra64
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations! Ive heard stories of some walmarts. Seen pics on web. Our walmart has pretty normal dressed customers. You get a few wackos like my exbf's mom who came up to my fiance when he was checking out. Gave him a ration of crap. Yeah look out for ppl that pick fights in walmart lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeckBeck1004
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Thank you sooooo much. I feel a littler better now with these great tips! 

mz23
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol we have two walmarts in my town. Ome os filled with hot mess people the other one ia regular ppl although I try to avoid walmarts I may go to the latter occasionally
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Good luck on your interview!

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Great tips from the other mama good luck!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexis_06
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 3:58 AM

omg, i love my walmart, never seen any crazy people in mine!   was there tonight and spent $200!!  yikes! things add up fast! lol

RazzledRainbows
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Be ready for the Crazy Christmas Customers. For the most part it's a good job. Just not around Christmas. People are VERY rude and the get pissed off at you for no reason at all. You would think people would be happy around Christmas, but N O. I guess they get upset when they realize how much they are spending or.... IDK, but it's the worst season of the retail year.

It's a pretty easy job as well. I've worked here almost 8 years and have only seen a handful of eeeewwwwy dressed people. The one I remb to this day is a BIG man wearing a miniskirt,with lots of butt and junk hanging out, a corset, heels, and a bright rainbow wig. This mofo was HAIRY and I stared as he sashayed outta my line.

BeckBeck1004
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM

LoL!!! 

Quoting RazzledRainbows:

Be ready for the Crazy Christmas Customers. For the most part it's a good job. Just not around Christmas. People are VERY rude and the get pissed off at you for no reason at all. You would think people would be happy around Christmas, but N O. I guess they get upset when they realize how much they are spending or.... IDK, but it's the worst season of the retail year.

It's a pretty easy job as well. I've worked here almost 8 years and have only seen a handful of eeeewwwwy dressed people. The one I remb to this day is a BIG man wearing a miniskirt,with lots of butt and junk hanging out, a corset, heels, and a bright rainbow wig. This mofo was HAIRY and I stared as he sashayed outta my line.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)