Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

ACS FEAR QUESTION

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM
  • 9 Replies
Ok so I have a friend who is going through a bitter custody battle with her junky ex. The father gets their dd 2 day visits weekly (which she is trying to get supervised because of his drug problem) she has also cut out overnight visits with the grandparents because they would take dd and not want to return her she has offered day visits but they turned her down. She is now in fear that they will call ACS just to get back at her and that dd will be taken away while they investigate the claim. To my knowledge they do not do that unless there is evidence of extreme physical abuse.

I know you guys have a plethora of information please tell me if I am right or wrong on this.

We are located in New York City
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Every state is different but I don't think unless there is obvious abuse they would
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bribriesmom
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM
I agree every state is different. I've worked with parents here in California who were mandated to complete a drug & alcohol program because of their addiction and putting the child(ren) in danger. Look up your states laws regarding children or if you have a legal aid family law service in your area ask questions.
kidlover2
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
How old is the child? We have been under a CPS investigation since July and we still have our kids and live in NY. The judge ordered it though... So I don't know if it's different. CPS will always investigate both families so the grandparents may want to take that in to consideration before making any calls.
woodstock525
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:14 PM

CPS is always more leary of claims of child abuse when there is an ongoing custody battle between parents.  This is because so many times as soon as a couple splits, there are allegations of abuse so that one party or the other can try to minimize contact with the kids.

Further, what does your court order say about visitation?  Only go strictly by the court order.  If the grandparents aren't part of that CO, then they don't get the kids.  If you let the kids go with dad in absence of a CO, then he can keep the kids and there would be nothing you could do about it until it went to court.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM

What is the claim of abuse?

SueSahara
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM
her daughter is only 16 months the child's father doesn't live with his parents they are just threatening her with the ACS calls

Quoting kidlover2:

How old is the child? We have been under a CPS investigation since July and we still have our kids and live in NY. The judge ordered it though... So I don't know if it's different. CPS will always investigate both families so the grandparents may want to take that in to consideration before making any calls.
easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:08 PM

group hug

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Unless mom is doing something wrong then she has nothing to fear from ACS. Let them call.

Quoting SueSahara:

her daughter is only 16 months the child's father doesn't live with his parents they are just threatening her with the ACS calls

Quoting kidlover2:

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM

If they call they will have to investigate. As lolng as she's not doing anything wrong then she has nothing to worry about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)