Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Advice On Going Back To College

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 5:47 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi moms! I am wanting to go back to school and earn a degree so I can better my childrens lives. I'm 37 years old and have been out of school for 20 years. I have had a few ideas what I want to major in. I want a job that will be pliable with my kids since they are in school. I had thought about paralegal, but in my area most employers want you to have a bachelors degree. Then theirs dental hygienist, although they work part time, and I would have to work 2 jobs to have a full weeks paycheck. Also thought of respitory therapy and lab technician. I have had friends tell me in order to get into college you have score a 18 on the ACT test to even be accepted into a program. I am overwhelmed and scared! I don't know what to do. Do you moms have any ideas or advice? Thanks!

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
woodstock525
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

First of all, congratulations on making the decision to go back to school!  It may seem terrifying, but you are not the only person to return to college at your age.  There are alot of adults returning to school. 

At your age, you don't need to take the SAT or ACT test to get into college.  The college you apply to will want to verify your high school record and diploma though if you've never attended college in the past.  Then, they will most likely have you take a placement test for English, reading, and math.  Adults tend to do fine on the English tests because we use that all the time, but don't be surprised if you place into a remedial high school math class at college to start out with.  Math and foreign language skills are the two things that we lose most quickly after we leave high school.

You may feel more comfortable starting at a local community college as they tend to have classes offered days, evenings, weekends, and online.  And, most courses are fully transferable to four year colleges/universities.  Community colleges are also very well equipped to deal with the challenges that returning adult students face by providing developmental math, reading, and English courses, tutoring, and stuff like that.

I would suggest that you contact your local community college and see if you can't meet with someone in their career center to talk about possible careers/college majors.  I would recommend that you avoid trying to pick a career just because of what it pays.  It really sucks to be in a job that you don't like or to take classes that you have no interest in or subjects that you just don't do well in. 

Go to the website for your local community college and just take a look at some of the majors they offer.  If you're looking in the medical field, there is usually anything from medical assistant and nursing to radiology, xray tech, and dental hygiene.  Each is a bit different. 

One thing I would caution you on is to stay away from the really expensive private, for-profit schools out there who promise you the world in terms of jobs after graduation.  Many times the classes you take there do not transfer to other regular colleges and no college can guarantee that you get a job.  I've seen too many folks taken advantage of by places like them.  So, be a very informed consumer before you just jump in. 

ConcernedCousin
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I go to school online for my bachelors. if you're an adult, they don't look at your ACT scores( i never took them) and you don't need to pass any tests to enroll. find a school that offers the program you want, and enroll. simple as that

LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I would look at community colleges and begin with general Ed classes. You don't need any ACT test scores to get in there. Whatever you decide to do will probably have some sort of pre requ courses you have to take so you can do those while you figure out what you want to do.
Start with English and math and go from there. If you decide to go into medicine, then take some science courses. If you decide law or something like that, take relevant courses.
Go slow and don't overwhelm yourself.
Congrats in going back to school and GO ROLL TIDE!!! (Love your screen name :)
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Awesome!!! Going back to school is a great decision call and meet with a counselor and see what you need to go back
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
foltzy
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I've currently graduated with my associates degree at the age of 32. Next month I begin class work towards my bachelors. I attended community college first, now I'm taking accelerated classes.

Good luck and you can do it. I was once talking to one of my professors and we were talking about kids fresh from high school and older students like myself. We were talking about how it is harder for older students because we usually have a lot more responsibilities but how it means so much more because we've been out there and know what the world is like.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)