Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Need advice $$$

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:46 PM
  • 14 Replies
Ok so here is the deal. I am struggling financially. No child support or PA. I work a full 40, but after taxes and my contribution to health ins., I only bring home 2180. I decided to get a pt job to help w my expenses.

I have been offered two different pt reception jobs that I can work around regular work schedule. Both pay less than my current job.

The first is at a pediatric urgent care for $14 /hour but only 16-26 hours per month- Two Sundays per month, and maybe 1-2 evening per month. I will always have at least 1 weekend day off w kids. And it is a higher pay level. This would help w groceries and neccesities, but not much more. There sill also ve the opportunity to pick up shifts from others, alghough no guarantee. I think this position suits my personality more.

The second is 10/hour w 56 hours a month. The position is on a busy car lot and would be every sat and sunday. I would be working 7 days a week. i would have much less time w kids, but more money which would mean we could do more activities and I would be able to pay all my bills, save a little and still have occasional treats.

I hate that I am so torn over about a $200/month difference... but at this point in my life this is my reality.

So what would you do?
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
moogsmom03
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:51 PM

How many kids do you have? Why no child support or PA? Are your bills really that high or do you just feel like you need the cushion of an extra job? The answers to those questions would help a lot. I guess without that info, I would choose the second job with less hours so that I could spend the time with my kids. You can always make money, your kids will not always be little. If you could just find a way to somehow cut the $200 from your budget instead of needing to make that extra while giving up all that time with your kids, I would do that instead. 

BMM0508
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:02 AM
If you work 7 days a week, you wouldnt have time or the energy to do those activites that you could afford to do with the kids. Id go with the first one.
Mamavelt
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Kids are 11, 14 and just turned 18.

No cs because dad is mentally ill and lives in his car. No pa because for me, that is an avenue of last resort. If I am able to work, I would rather do that. Please don't judge or bash, I don't judge or bash those who are on pa. It is personal and depends on your circumstances.

As far as expenses, rent is a huge factor...I live in a part of Los Angeles where the worst scary dirty apartments start at 1100/mo for a 2 bedroom. I pay more than that. I could move farther out where rents are cheaper, but it would be a tradeoff for gas $, Kids would have to go to worse schools and we would lose even more time driving. Rent is a huge percentage of my income, if i only paid 33% of my income toward rent, we would be fine. I live in a tiny two bedroom in a marginal area. I wouldnt describe it as nice... But it is clean and I feel relatively safe here. Also, my rent will not be up for another 8 months, So at this point I just have to deal w it.

The rest of my regular bills, gas, utilities, insurance ( auto and life) are as low as I can get them. 0 budge room.

I do have some debt that I accrued in the divorce transition. I am hoping to pay that off, along w my annual car ins w my tax refund, which should help free some money up. I am also hoping to get a more fuel efficient car, but that is a long term goal.

Once my current bills are paid, I have almost nothing left for regular variable expenses like groceries - i am so tired of feeling like i need to vomit everytime i go shopping for food. there are also occasional expenses like kid clothes and shoes ( yes we already do hand me downs, thrift/eBay and cheapest sale possible). there are also expenses for my kids like field trip costs or birthday/Christmas presents. Not to mention unexpected expenses like the $150 copayment for the ER last week, or the other bills we will get from that incident which I am dreading.

I am just so tired and stressed out by this subsistence living.

Every budget website I read says, lower your budget as much as possible.... And if you are still short, find extra income. Fine, i am happy to do what i have to in order to take care of my kids. So now it is just a matter of which job?

Oh. And for the job at the car lot I would be done by 1 on Saturday, so I would still have time to do something w the kids late Saturday afternoon/evening, as well as every week night. I think it is too much time away, but the thought of my financial situation being significantly eased is tempting.

I
ame4c
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM

You have to decided what is more important. Money or time with your kids.  You say with the 2nd option you will have more money to do more activities with the kids, but what good is that if you don't have time to do them????

Take it from someone who has worked their ass off and missed out on my kids summer, Don't make the decision purely on $$$$.  Because even when you are off work, when you are working all those hours, you will be too tired to do anything with them or to enjoy the time you are spending with them.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM

If I could make do with living off the first one I would do that so I had more time with my son.  Good luck!

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I have worked a 2nd job to catch up, make ends meet, add more to savings and rather not do it. I want more time with my son than more money to get than give to someone else.

But if I had to I would take the first one.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I would take the urgent care job. You only get so much time with your kids, cherish it.

PKOERNER
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Pediatric job
You will wear down like nobody's business at ten dollars an hour with that many hours on a second job. Been there. And if it will make you feel better to b there it's a no brainer :-)
woodstock525
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Pediatric job

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I would take the pediatric job.  Best of luck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN