Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Four Year Old's Questions

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM
  • 13 Replies

I have a four year old son...his dad has never been there he swears he can't have kids...anyway my son has never really questioned why it is just me and him until here recently when he started school. He has been asking questions like "Where is my daddy?" "Why can't I see him?" I told him he just lives too far away. I want to be honest but I don't want him hurt! I hate making up excuses. Please if you have any advice or been through something similar I would appreciate it

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Just tell him that some people make poor choices and decide they don't want to take care of their responsibilities. 

Robsessed98
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Tell he him sometimes dads can't be there for their kids and you don't really understand why either. Reassure him that the two of you are all he need to be a happy family. Don't lie to him. At his age he won't understand anyway.
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Yep, this.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Just tell him that some people make poor choices and decide they don't want to take care of their responsibilities. 

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I just tell my 7 year old that his dad is gone til he is ready to be a dad.  Until then he has many people in his life who love him very much!

Focus on the positive.  

I don't say anything negative about my son's dad to him, I let him draw his own conclusions!

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I agree with the others. Be honest but vague. Like his daddy wasn't ready to be a daddy or something like that. Remind him of all the people that do love him and are there for him.

libramoon007
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Just be honest. I tell my dd this is her father but she has a "papi"( my dad).  She didnt care when  I told her. Her friends are more annoying. I just tell him her daddy is not here right now. As they get older it gets more complicated but I will cross that bridge when it happens. 

steviechick
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM

My daughter is 19.  She's know that its up to her father to BE a father.  He has chosen to be a POS.  Not sure if he will ever change.  Until then, she goes on with her life.

Bero2007
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM

it's hard to answer 4 year olds questions. at least once a week my 4 year old asks me why daddy doesn't live with us anymore or when is daddy coming back home

bookie0210
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Thank you all for the advice...I know we have a long road in the future but it is nice to know other people are out there going through the same thing...Thanks again!

alexis_06
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM

my daughters dad was invovled from age 3-6..when he decided he was "done", all i could tell her was that he was busy sorting his life out..it sucks..its hard..but ya cant force them to be involved

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN