Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

modifying child support: does it really take that long?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:45 PM
  • 18 Replies

I filed in December 2012 for a modification as child care was never factored in when out child support order was calculated by the state.

I kept calling every now and then as of today September 19th, no response.

I was told that a modification takes a long time.

This is in California.

does it really take that long? That extra support that he should be sharing is so needed

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerossandra
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM

BUMP!

MIMIBRIE
by Jayme on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Here in TX I think its 6 months to get a review. It depends on the employer and how long they take to return the paperwork.

I don't even mess with mine. Seems like it would be frustrating waiting that long. Good luck! Hopefully you will get an answer soon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerossandra
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM

yeah they said it could take 6 months but it has been 9.The initial child support order only took 2/3 months

Quoting MIMIBRIE:

Here in TX I think its 6 months to get a review. It depends on the employer and how long they take to return the paperwork.

I don't even mess with mine. Seems like it would be frustrating waiting that long. Good luck! Hopefully you will get an answer soon

Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Beats the heck out of me. I'm in IL and I am getting ready to file one. I want sperm donor to pay half of all school supplies and clothes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerossandra
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I was told it is no retroactive so all these MONTHS of paying for childcare that I will never get reimbursed.

It seems that you have to file the year before the expenses come up

Quoting Jenn8604:

Beats the heck out of me. I'm in IL and I am getting ready to file one. I want sperm donor to pay half of all school supplies and clothes.

celticdragon77
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM

In Pennsylvania, I was told that I am not allowed to ask for more money based on any expenses that arises.

I asked domestics about a medical expense, and they said that it was outside of what child support is for. That child support ONLY covers the basic day to day living expenses. 

Quoting Jenn8604:

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:20 AM

It should be retroactive to the date you filed. 

easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I don't know but here's a bump for you!

steviechick
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM

In my settlement I asked for healthcare for our daughter until she turned 22.  The ex agreed.  He also agreed to help financially support our daughter while she attended college.  He's since renigged on that promise.  He signed the agreement, so I have no choice but battle him in court.  I've won all three times he's appealed.  I had garnishments in place but he had his wife (the tramp) file a separation in order to stop the garnishments. We proceed back to battle in December. 

I agree, it should be retroactive to the date you filed.  My ex owes me $9k thus far.

Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Well guess what school is an AUTOMATIC expense. You have a kid they HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL THEY HAVE TO HAVE SUPPLIES. besides the judge told me anything else besides basic support had to wait until it came up. IE school supplies, clothes, cost of sports teams.

Quoting celticdragon77:

In Pennsylvania, I was told that I am not allowed to ask for more money based on any expenses that arises.

I asked domestics about a medical expense, and they said that it was outside of what child support is for. That child support ONLY covers the basic day to day living expenses. 

Quoting Jenn8604:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)