Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Florida Statewide Food Stamp Decrease

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM
  • 48 Replies

Just read this on the Florida County website....Starting in October there is a statewide Cost of Living decrease to all food stamp recipients by $20.....this is ridiculous....food pantries are already tapped out and the economy just keeps getting worse....another step closer to the poor getting poorer and the rich getting richer...Way to go Rick Scott and all his Republican buddies!!!!  Starve the children!!!!  SMMFH

mom 2 a Princess Diva..<3wearing crown

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mz23
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 4:20 PM
3 moms liked this
People should be happy they get anything. Start growing your own food. Buy smart (make food by scratch etc). What would ppl do if there were no food stamps.bi think its good and helpful but you shouldnt depend on this. Anything could happen...
flprincessmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM
7 moms liked this

The food stamp program is used by more ppl now than ever before, from what I am reading...vets, seniors, working families with or without children....in alot of situations it is impossible to grow your own food..those who live in big cities with no yard just surrounded by concrete and other apartments/buildings....alot of times it is more expensive to make from scratch since you have to have all the ingredients.....if the Government would just take a 5 or 10% decrease in pay think of how much could be saved off the budget....instead of making it harder to feed the poor....food prices are still going up while the money to feed families is steadily going down....

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see a problem with it. When I received food stamps I often times had extra at the end of the month. I bought what I could on sale and used coupons to ensure my food stamps would last the whole month. I often have to modify my food shopping list based on my budget and see no reason why people on food stamps shouldn't do the same.

I know people whose food stamps only last half the month because the first day they're at the store buying tons of candy, chips, cookines, soda, etc. Then they're constantly at the corner store getting more snacks. The corner store is more expensive then the regular store.

sweetspice03
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Same here.  I'm currently on FS, and I do what I can to make them last the whole month.  I shop at the discount grocery chains and use coupons, plus I buy some stuff in bulk at Sam's (dd's dad has a membership there and he put me on it).  I usually have extra leftover at the end of the month as well, so a $20 reduction really wouldn't affect me.

And I totally know what you mean on those whose FS don't last long.  My sister and her husband get the same amount I do, yet they manage to spend just about all of it the day they get them (leaving them with only $30 to $40 for the rest of the month.  They buy a lot of convenience stuff and if they do cook from scratch, they cook a ton of food but don't save any for leftovers.  Then they blow the rest of their FS, and do the same thing.  They also have WIC since she's pregnant, and even with that, they have very little food in the house by the middle of the month.  

Quoting cjsmom1:

I don't see a problem with it. When I received food stamps I often times had extra at the end of the month. I bought what I could on sale and used coupons to ensure my food stamps would last the whole month. I often have to modify my food shopping list based on my budget and see no reason why people on food stamps shouldn't do the same.

I know people whose food stamps only last half the month because the first day they're at the store buying tons of candy, chips, cookines, soda, etc. Then they're constantly at the corner store getting more snacks. The corner store is more expensive then the regular store.

flprincessmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM

It is the price of meat and fresh fruit/vegies that gets me....I will be getting around $250 a month for a family of 3 starting next month, and I can't seem to find any coupons for that stuff....we don't eat red meat, basically chicken and very seldom, pork.....I try to stretch it, but it still does not last from issue date to issue date....I do breakfast for dinner alot and meatless spaghetti and things like that, but both my kids need alotof protein in their diets due to their sports and dance....and again it seems the prices keep going up and the income keeps going down...BUT it also doesn't help that my only option is Walmart.....we do not have meat stores like back home in NY and "grocery stores" are VERY far and few between here and more expensive than Walmart...and I WISH I could still get WIC (DD is 7), that helped out alot with the milk and such....

nikabear
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Do they have Winn Dixie where you live? They always have a buy one get one free meat sale weekly. What about a Meat store? They always have good deals on meat! Good luck🍀

Quoting flprincessmom:

It is the price of meat and fresh fruit/vegies that gets me....I will be getting around $250 a month for a family of 3 starting next month, and I can't seem to find any coupons for that stuff....we don't eat red meat, basically chicken and very seldom, pork.....I try to stretch it, but it still does not last from issue date to issue date....I do breakfast for dinner alot and meatless spaghetti and things like that, but both my kids need alotof protein in their diets due to their sports and dance....and again it seems the prices keep going up and the income keeps going down...BUT it also doesn't help that my only option is Walmart.....we do not have meat stores like back home in NY and "grocery stores" are VERY far and few between here and more expensive than Walmart...and I WISH I could still get WIC (DD is 7), that helped out alot with the milk and such....

flprincessmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM

we do not have meat stores like back home in NY and "grocery stores" are VERY far and few between here and more expensive than Walmart...       

Quoting nikabear:

Do they have Winn Dixie where you live? They always have a buy one get one free meat sale weekly. What about a Meat store? They always have good deals on meat! Good luck🍀

Quoting flprincessmom:

Maddogsmommy
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see a problem with reducing it, since you know, our country is going broke. People are lucky to get anything free at all.
flprincessmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:14 PM
4 moms liked this

well how about instead of starving the poor they go after the rich who put millions of dollars into a blind trust and get enormous amounts of tax breaks due to loopholes??????...mandate the rich to put anywhere from 1% to 5% of their income into the debt.....you do not need to live in multi- million dollar homes and drive expensive luxury cars and take all exclusive vacations when the country you are helping to run is in crisis.....I'm just saying.......the poor have nothing to give, but the rich sure as hell do....

Quoting Maddogsmommy:

I don't see a problem with reducing it, since you know, our country is going broke. People are lucky to get anything free at all.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I know in Virginia,(maybe other states too) those who are single with no dependents will have their allotment of $200 taken away after they have been on it for 6 months.

It use to be they could receive for 6 months than go off of it for 6 months and re-apply but it was changed a couple years ago they could just stay on it.

No reason for someone who is single, not disabled, no dependents, to not be working.

If they got rid of this option in all the states, than this will leave more money for families that are working lower wage jobs, and need assistance with providing food for their families.

As well as for our singles and those who are disabled.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN