Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Job Interview Snaggle! Help!

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM
  • 11 Replies

Okay ladies I need advice on a job interview. So the other day I had an interview for a job that are outside of my skill range its to be manager of an oil company location with a convenient store & laundry mat attached. So I met with the one girl Nikki she was so nice but said Nancy the other manager had a Doctor appointment. The interview went very well with Nikki (this was last Thursday) so she requested I do another interview with Nancy so I waited for a call, nothing. I got discouraged. 

Tonight I have been having issues with my Straight Talk phone, we're trouble shooting etc. it will need to be replaced. Well I find I have a message from Nancy on Thursday wanting to meet with me. I called Nancy tonight & explained I'm having phone issues etc. & she said she was going to try me again tomorrow morning to see if I had got the message etc. So we set up an interview for Thursday. 

My question is how bad does this look? I think Nikki kept the interview thinking I'd probably not pan out to begin with but found she liked me therefore that requires an okay from Nancy who would be my second boss there. I feel awful about missing the call & possibly doing the interview last Friday but, I'm thinking since Nancy mentioned she was going to try me again tomorrow that it looks good anyway. Thoughts? What would you say to them? I know it does not look good on me anyway like I'm not reliable or that I am making up an excuse but after my interview I'll be exchanging my phone I can prove it lol 

How would you handle this? 

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ali32
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I would just apologize again for the screw up with the message. Things like that happen. You were responsible in that you called her back and apologized and you are meeting with her on Thursday. Shows that you are interested in the job. Good luck!!!!

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM
No, in this day and age technology shit happens. Everyone has had an issue at one point or another. It isn't an issue unless it continually happens.
Ali32
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I had my car break down on the way to an interview one time and I couldn't make it. I called them, they were understanding, and I rescheduled for another day. I got the job. 

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Just apologize again and thank her for taking the time to interview you
steviechick
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM

What everbody else said!

easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I agree with the other moms.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM

good luck

woodstock525
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I had something similar happen...only probably just a tidge bit worse.  I scheduled a job interview for a position I really wanted.  I wrote down that it was one date, a Friday, because I had spoken with the interviewer about that date and mixed it up in my mind.  The interview was actually the Wednesday before. 

Monday of that same week, I was rear ended by a drunk driver and was rocked.  My van was totalled because the frame was bent by his little SUV.  I was in so much pain and home under doctor's care and pain meds when they called...on Wednesday, 15 minutes after the interview was to have started with the search committee waiting in the room.  The lady was a bit curt, though a little more forgiving once I explained I'd been in a serious auto accident. 

They did agree to reschedule the interview, but I probably shouldn't have bothered.  I probably had a really good shot at the position until I didn't bother to show up.  Missing a phone call, especially since you contacted them as soon as you discovered it is nothing by comparison.

Robsessed98
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I would apologize for the snafu, but anyone who uses cell phones will understand. I can't imagine her holding it against you. Good luck.
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Even though it seems bad, it's not as bad as it seems. 

Just appologize, things happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)