Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

My nephew did WHAT???

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 1:42 PM
  • 9 Replies

My nephew is nearly 4, and he has a hard time listening to adults, even to his big sisters. My niece got a dwarf hamster for getting good grades, and everyone made sure to remind him that he was not to touch the hamster. He is very rough with little animals, but he has a pit bull at home so maybe he's use to playing rough? Anyway, my mom was over at my sisters (his mom) helping her move, and seeing as how they have no furniture, they left the hamsters cage on the floor. 

My nephew disappeared, and when my mom went to look for him, she caught him with his hand in the hamsters cage SQUEEZING her. She screamed at him and he dropped her and pulled his hand out, which caused the gate to close. Mom says the hamster looks fine, but still. 

My sister scolded him and sent him to a room that had a mattress in it and told him to lay there and that he was grounded. His dad? He comes in, tells him to get his shoes on and come outside, and my sister looks to him and says "I just grounded him." 

He replied "I know." And walked out. 

Seriously???

by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

At that age and knowing he would be curious about the hamster, they should have been mre responsible with where they left it at.

Also there may be some other issues that are going on to have him not following directions on what not to touch especially when it is an adult, especially his Mother talking.

brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I agree. They should have put her elsewhere. 

Ive asked my sister if she's asked his pedi, and she says "Yeah. They tried speech therapy and it didn't help."

He hasn't begun to form sentences, and will babble most of the time, only saying one clearish word every so often. He really only repeats what you say. It irks me that she doesn't push for more answers, or get more help for him. She lets him watch YouTube videos pretty much all day. He even is at the point where he will take her phone while she's asleep and use it until it dies. 

It also get frustrating when her and her husband refuse to see eye to eye on the raising and discipline of him. Her husband has two girls from a previous marriage, and my sister has my niece from a previous relationship, and my nephew is theirs together. 

I would talk to her, but I know how offended and upset I'd get if she said anything about how I'm raising my daughter.

Quoting virginiamama71:

At that age and knowing he would be curious about the hamster, they should have been mre responsible with where they left it at.

Also there may be some other issues that are going on to have him not following directions on what not to touch especially when it is an adult, especially his Mother talking.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Hopefully they will face reality and see it is not the child that is the problem but how they parent the child. Nothing wrong with getting advice from others to improve our parenting skills. None of us are perfect at it.

Quoting brittybby2010:

Ive asked my sister if she's asked his pedi, and she says "Yeah. They tried speech therapy and it didn't help."

He hasn't begun to form sentences, and will babble most of the time, only saying one clearish word every so often. He really only repeats what you say. It irks me that she doesn't push for more answers, or get more help for him. She lets him watch YouTube videos pretty much all day. He even is at the point where he will take her phone while she's asleep and use it until it dies. 

It also get frustrating when her and her husband refuse to see eye to eye on the raising and discipline of him. Her husband has two girls from a previous marriage, and my sister has my niece from a previous relationship, and my nephew is theirs together. 

I would talk to her, but I know how offended and upset I'd get if she said anything about how I'm raising my daughter.

Quoting virginiamama71:

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I absolutely agree.  The child is getting mixed messages when it comes to discipline and that's not helping to curb the bad behavior.

Quoting virginiamama71:

Hopefully they will face reality and see it is not the child that is the problem but how they parent the child. Nothing wrong with getting advice from others to improve our parenting skills. None of us are perfect at it.

Quoting brittybby2010:

Quoting virginiamama71:

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah the kid is getting mixed messages from both parents, they shouldn't have left a small animal within reach of a 4yo for the more one who they already know is rough with animals, grounding for a 4 year old is beyond inappropriate. IMHO, dad was right to get the child outside. All that should have been done is time out for 4 minutes and apology to the owner of the hamster. 

alexis_06
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:08 PM

aww poor hamster :( 

i do think mom kinda went overboard...ya cant really ground a 4yr old...however, i also think dad shouldnt have taken him outside either..the parents need to learn to back each other..not show disrespect like that infront of the child, its giving the kid mixed signals..

brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:31 PM

That's what I think. If they worked together, he would listen more. He's coming to my house tomorrow...thank goodness my only pet is a fish that's in my room, OUT OF HIS REACH!

Quoting alexis_06:

aww poor hamster :( 

i do think mom kinda went overboard...ya cant really ground a 4yr old...however, i also think dad shouldnt have taken him outside either..the parents need to learn to back each other..not show disrespect like that infront of the child, its giving the kid mixed signals..

PinkButterfly66
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:54 PM

My brother bit a hamsters leg off because it bit him when he was 3.   I'd get some sort of lock for the cage door to keep him from hurting it again.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Communication between the adults is important and follow through sending mixed messages isn't going to help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)