Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I hate buying college books!

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM
  • 9 Replies

I have to buy 2 books for my next term (they only last 8 weeks) and the 2 books (both used) are going to cost me $460 and will have little to no resell value after I'm done with them.  Just a vent but its soooooo annoying having to spend this much money every 8 weeks to get new books for each term.  Good thing I only have 4 terms left before I"m done with my degree!!

Anybody else able to relate to this?

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kyandkaesmommy
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Have you looked on chegg? You rent books on there thats what i am doing. I had to buy my math book It was $180!! I am taking five clases so I rented the rest...I saved a good amount of money. For 4 books on chegg to rent for like 18 weeks it was $160.

I get it!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:34 PM

My issue is that the bookstore doesn't give you the isbn number so I can't be sure that I'm getting the right one.  I can't wait until classes start to order them because they are accelerated courses due to the shorter terms so I need the books the first day.  Sometimes I can rent them through the book store but this time I can't for either because I need the access codes to do the online portions as well. 

Quoting kyandkaesmommy:

Have you looked on chegg? You rent books on there thats what i am doing. I had to buy my math book It was $180!! I am taking five clases so I rented the rest...I saved a good amount of money. For 4 books on chegg to rent for like 18 weeks it was $160.

I get it!!

kyandkaesmommy
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Oh yeah that's like my math class. I needed the online portion as well.

Doesn't it make you mad? I makes me mad.

I am like come on I have a 5 year old, pregnant and work in a daycare. I don't have the money.

Quoting easinpc:

My issue is that the bookstore doesn't give you the isbn number so I can't be sure that I'm getting the right one.  I can't wait until classes start to order them because they are accelerated courses due to the shorter terms so I need the books the first day.  Sometimes I can rent them through the book store but this time I can't for either because I need the access codes to do the online portions as well. 

Quoting kyandkaesmommy:

I get it!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I swear the cost of College Books are more expensive than going to college itself. It's absolutely outrageous. One book I had to get was $550 and it was the brand new edition so there was no used versions. I was FURIOUS! What I did was split the cost with 3 other kids, and scanned the whole book. I only printed off the pages that we needed and said fuck it. 

steviechick
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I can relate.  My two books (used) cost $250.  Not as much as your books but I had to save up the money in order to afford to purchase the books for my business classes.  My daughter had to purchase three books and they cost her close to $400.  She's 19, and on a very tight budget.

LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I had to pay almost $550 for my book this semester only to find out one I got was wrong. I went and exchanged it and had to pay an additional $27!!! And several of my books where rentals!

mz23
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Can you buy an older edition online. They can be pretty cheap. Go to your schools website and go to the bookstore section. Usually you can put all your classes and sections and itll tell you thr books you need. Most classes you can use an older edition if not sure email your teacher and ask. Youll usually have to buy lab books new also sometimes schools make their own books and you cant buy elsewhere. Other than that 99% of the time its not necessary to buy brand new. Its a trap! ! They come up with new editions every semester! !
CrystalYaris
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I feel your pain. I hated doing it too! My first bill for books, I snapped a pic of it and posted it to Facebook to show my mom. She calls me in the middle of class and asked me how I'm paying for it! "Geez mom, I dunno.. I was hoping you could loan me the money for this!" I was joking with her about that.

CrystalYaris
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I could have resold my books to classmates. I would have rather done that because the company that came to get books and buy them back sucked. I paid 140 for a book and they offered me $5 for it. It has no one fold in it or even one pencil mark. That was insane.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)