Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I have to have his dad on birth certificate?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM
  • 21 Replies
Please don't judge me first off. I'm doing the best I can. I had my son almost 2 years ago. I left his dad when I was pregnant because I caught him doing drugs and he refused to seek help. I had to get a restraining order after that because he threatened to kill me. During this time I found out he had been extremely abusive to his ex wife and stepchildren as well. Towards the end of my pregnancy, my ex husband and I tried to reconcile. We have 2 girls together and we wanted to make our family work. My ex husband and I have come to the conclusion that it will never work. He is a cheater and can't remain faithful. He had put his name in my sons birth certificate but if we aren't together, I don't want him to be responsible for my son. I am going to court to have his name removed but I don't want to put his bio dad's name on the certificate. When my son is older and wants to know his dad, I will arrange it but for now, I won't put my sons safety in the hands of an addict. I don't want food stamps, or child support so please don't attack me. Do I have to put his bio dad's name on the birth certificate? I'm in Michigan if it makes a difference. I have been researching and asking around but so far, I've just found a bunch of rude people who really don't have an answer. My daughter is terminally ill and receives Medicaid and SSI. if I don't put a fathers name on my sons birth certificate, will it affect my daughters benefits?
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cupcake_mom
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think you do. But I'm not 100% on that
Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:15 PM
I left the dad spot blank on my ds' bc here in IL.
1uniquemommy86
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM
I understand, or at least think I understand, I would never be able to get any kind of public assistance for my son without naming a father. Which is fine. But, do you have other kids? If so, does it affect them? Like, are they still able to get state insurance?

Quoting Jenn8604:

MIMIBRIE
by Jayme on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I left my ydd's blank in the father spot and my older girls still receive medicaid with no questions asked

1uniquemommy86
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Thank u! That's a huge relief. I don't get any state assistance except for my daughter insurance because of her terminal illness. I've been extremely stressed out not knowing if she would qualify if i don't name my sons father. It's a huge stress gone to know I don't have to sacrifice my sons safety for my daughters medical insurance.

Quoting MIMIBRIE:

I left my ydd's blank in the father spot and my older girls still receive medicaid with no questions asked

lambc10674
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I didnt put the bio dad on the birth certificate. It shouldnt affect the benefits.
Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I had WIC he's 5 now so he is too old. I also had fs until they screwed it up and didn't put down I had a job, so they "over paid" me. Still have the medical card. I live w my mom so I didn't try for housing.
He's an only child and perfectly fine without a dad.
Quoting 1uniquemommy86:

I understand, or at least think I understand, I would never be able to get any kind of public assistance for my son without naming a father. Which is fine. But, do you have other kids? If so, does it affect them? Like, are they still able to get state insurance?

Quoting Jenn8604:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sabrina2013
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I put unknown on her birth certificate so the father part is blank and I still get medical insurance and food stamps for her

Sister_Someone
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

No you don't. Most states will let you leave it blank, and on the off chance they don't, you can always put unknown. My son's says unknown, even though I do in fact know who's his father, but I want nothing to do with that sorry excuse for a human being.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it will

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)