Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

My children are missing *Update

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM
  • 51 Replies

It's been two days I thought they were going to school and they never made it there. I think their dad has them, but the police wont do anything because he has visitation rights so they are saying my kids ran away to him. He wont answer the phone or the door, it's considered a civil matter. Filed papers with the court when it happened for an emergency hearing, have heard nothing. I swing from being so worried I feel like I can't even move to so much anger, to pain. I just want them back. How can our system be so broken that my kids can be gone for days and no one seems to care? I don't know what to do

I wanted to thank you ladies for all the repsonses.  I posted looking for ideas, I am sorry for not responding.  I took the ideas and ran.

My children are home, they showed up on the front porch this weekend.  They are 15 and 12 (some were asking their age).  

Some of the things I did was put up missing posters in my neighborhood and in their dad's neighborhood, I went door to door, I called his family members, I called the national center for missing and exploited children and I called the clerk at the court house.  

I called the police over and over.  I had a hell of a time getting them to look for the boys.  Part if it was their ages, they wanted to treat them as runaways, the other part was the lack of concern of their father.  This led them to beleive they were with their dad, so they concluded since he has some visitation that they were safe and therefore a low priority. 

I filed an emergency motion which took days to even be looked at, meanwhile his family is ignoring me, wont answer the doors or the phones.  Finally I filed a restraining order siting educational neglect. Since the boys had, by then, missed several days of school.  Unfortunately, the judge knows me and the case well.  He said the father should be at the fore front of looking for the boys and granted the restraining order.

It took 3 days for my ex to be served and that very day my boys showed up on the front porch. 

They flat out refused to tell me, the police or the school where they were.  All I got from my youngest son was that he did not like it. 

We go back to court next week.  I'm pretty close to losing my job now because of all of the missed work.  My bosses do not care about the situation. I've started to have anxiety attacks when my kids are not around me. (Today on the way to work, yesterday at the store while they were home with my boyfriend) I guess I'm worried they will disappear again. 

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annas_momma
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Have they contacted the dad to make sure that they are even there? This is crazy.
v2011
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Quoting annas_momma:

Have they contacted the dad to make sure that they are even there? This is crazy.

I know my children are there. He's not even worried that they have disappeared and I got these weird texts from him. The police go to his house and he doesnt answer they say that's all they can do.
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I'd be furious. How old are your kids? Go back to court today and file again.
jes_eli_0710
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I would be out there looking for my children. Banging on every door I think they might be behind. I would be going to every community agency to see what they could do to help me get my kids back. Im not bashing you but I would not waste one minute of my day especially not posting here on cafemom. Us moms on here cant do anything to help you except give you our advice and opinions. Maybe some might even be nice enough to help research places you could look for help in your area. 

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Since they left voluntarily the police won't really do much. You know where they are and that they are safe. What does you court order say?

easinpc
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Do you know for sure that they are at their dads?  How old are they?  What does your court order say about custody/visits?  Have you followed up with the courts regarding your emergency hearing?

steviechick
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Your visitation agreement would state how long your ex can keep the kids.  If you have full custody then I would think that a visit is all your ex  has with the kids.  I would think that it's more or less an issue that would involve the courts if your ex doesn't take the kids back or call you.  Have you spoken to your attorney or child services about this?

mommersx4
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:14 PM

They have to go to school. Tell the school. How old are they?

Nisha929
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM

How old are these kids? I dont know how you can be on here posting instead of out looking for your children. Until you actually see them with their father, you dont know for a fact that they are with him so you should be doing whatever you can to find them.  

Maryloe
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM
2 moms liked this
I understand how you feel, I would call 800the-lost and if your ex has a Facebook I would make a post and maybe a mutual friend can contact him to return them. I would suggest you have his license plate and his information.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN