Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

school disagreement

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM
  • 12 Replies
If I have joint legal custody and me and the non custodial parent cannot come to an agreement for school placement do we have to take it to court?
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
woodstock525
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Who has residential custody?  Typically if the child is living with you for the majority of time, they would enroll in the school in your district.  But, this may end up being an issue that may have to go to mediation.  Get all the stats on one school vs the other (greatschools.net can help).  And, then you will want to show which parent is more stable (doesn't move so that the child wouldn't have to change school districts as a result); where the child resides the most (unless the visitation is 50/50) and who would have to/be able to transport the child and provide for before/after care.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Like the other mama said whoever has majority custody but sounds like you will end up in court
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Yes, most likely. If you two cannont agree and if your court order does not give one parent the final say then its off to court.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM
I am not sure.

I was cp and had joint legal. If I informed him of stuff ahead of time he wanted to argue. If it was something not that serious I would just do it and let him know after and it never really caused a problem.

With serious shit I would tell him thoughx
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Oh, if you have the kids majority of the time it makes more sense that they attend school near you. I'd enroll them and file in court to amend the CO to be very specific if he's going to be a PIA about everything
Maryloe
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM
We live two blocks away but he wants our son nto enroll to a school that his other daughter attends even though he is the non custodial and the school is an hour away from our area. I have physical custody of our son and we have joint legal custody. I am planning to have our son attend the school closes to both our homes, and then tell him because he is ego centric. What is a CO?

Quoting faerie75:

Oh, if you have the kids majority of the time it makes more sense that they attend school near you. I'd enroll them and file in court to amend the CO to be very specific if he's going to be a PIA about everything

sweetspice03
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM

CO is Court Order.  It may have to go to mediation and court, but since your son is primarily with you and the other school is so far away, you should be able to have him go to the school near you.

Quoting Maryloe:

We live two blocks away but he wants our son nto enroll to a school that his other daughter attends even though he is the non custodial and the school is an hour away from our area. I have physical custody of our son and we have joint legal custody. I am planning to have our son attend the school closes to both our homes, and then tell him because he is ego centric. What is a CO?

Quoting faerie75:

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM
How would your ds get to school everyday? I don't think the courts would allow him to go to school so far away from both parents.
alexis_06
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:29 AM

because he lives with you the majority of the time, i would THINK the courts would let you have it your way..

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM
That is ridick and no judge would order that. Enroll your kid close, notify him and if he don't like it, tell HIM to take you to court. He won't, and if he does he will lose.

CO = court order

Quoting Maryloe:

Quoting faerie75:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN