Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

S/O - Does your ex's family still consider YOU to be a part of the family?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:55 PM
  • 32 Replies

My ex's sister and her husband/son do not.  However several of his cousins, his brother and his grandmother, aunt & uncle, do consider me to be a part of the family and often invite me to gatherings.  I rarely go because I'm uncomfortable, but I'm grateful, especially for the sake of my kids.

Over the summer the kids and I spent 3 days at ex's grandmother's house.  She wouldn't let me get a hotel but insisted I stay at the house.

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
easinpc
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM

No.  There is only one family member of his that I still talk to and her and I are just nice to each other for my son.

Stephd710
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM

They dont hate me but I dont participate in their family functions anymore.  My ex cheated on me and was just horrible to me during our divorce and his family helped me out and were very nice to me during that time....still are.  But i am no longer a part of that family and I dont really want to hang out with my ex and his new piece and their love child so i dont go to their family things.  I send my girls but thats it.  My ex sil invited me to her daughters bday.  I declined but i sent my girls and a gift with them.  

kimscorner
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM

They do his FIRST ex, but not me.  I've done nothing to them, but they don't like.  They've been divorced for over 12 years or so, but she's still invited to their Christmas thing EVERY year.  I was never invited to ONE....not even when we were together!

And now we aren't together anymore and he gets court ordered visitation (which I HATE!).  I don't want my daughter around his snooty family.  He has her on Christmas DAY this year (his family does Christmas EVE) so she probably won't be around many of them, but next year she will be.  What pisses me off the most is that his ex wife will probably be there, and my daughter will be there, and not me.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

SingleMom2104
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I am closer to his parents than he is. He was a jerk to them as well!

mamalena137
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I'm not considered part of his family but am still in contact with them. After we split, the first weekend he took our son, his mom called me to check on me and see how I was doing. She was a single mom so she was encouraging. I still talk to his grandmother and aunts but they live on the other side of the country. My parents won't have anything to do with him and my one of my brothers was never really close, the other one doesn't really talk to him anymore.

Misha1204
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Not really.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Misha1204
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM
They respect me & help when they can.....but 'a part of their fam'? No.

Quoting Misha1204:

Not really.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:02 PM

That was really nice of her to call and check on you.

Quoting mamalena137:

I'm not considered part of his family but am still in contact with them. After we split, the first weekend he took our son, his mom called me to check on me and see how I was doing. She was a single mom so she was encouraging. I still talk to his grandmother and aunts but they live on the other side of the country. My parents won't have anything to do with him and my one of my brothers was never really close, the other one doesn't really talk to him anymore.

woodstock525
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

My ex #1, had we stayed married (we were married less than a year) we'd be having our 30th wedding anniversary next month. We went through years where some of his family spoke to me, but most did not.  I'm fb friends now with one of his sil's and one of his sisters as well as his wife#3 (and was friendly with wife #2).  I used to take my son to family funerals (about the only time the family ever gets together), but haven't done that in years.  Ex #1's wife is actually helping me to find a new place to live if I get a job I interviewed for that's not far from where they live.

Ex#2, my daughter 19's dad, he's an only child so just him and his elderly mom who lives with him.  We've been divorced for over 12 years and he never remarried.  We are on very friendly terms, have celebrated holidays together, and I still consider his mom my mother-in-law.  I've helped them out financially this past year as my ex had a stroke that resulted in his having to file for SSDI, though the help I've provided is more for my daughter's sake as she had left university to go to the community college and was doing school plus working a part time and full time job to help support her dad and grandma's household.  She needed a break as that is really not her responsibility. 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I talk to a few of his cousins, his sisters, and his mom. I invite his mom and sisters over for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am really close with one of his sisters and talk to her pretty often.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN