Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Support/Advice; No $$ for Baby's 1st Christmas?:(

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM
  • 38 Replies
Please no negative or mean comments!! :( I had to let go of my pride but... here it goes... You single moms know how hard things can get financially, especially nowadays.. Well.. what do you do for Christmas? Like I'm 17 and no job due to finishing highschool classes. I have about $100 to spread between my baby daughter, mom, aunt, etc. My sweetie will be 7 months for it and it's her first, so even if she doesn't quite understand, I want her to have a lot of presents. Are there churches or other programs that can help me buy her a few things, or donate a few things? :( I'm sad.. Hoping you guys understand and have some advice or even just support!

SerenityLilypie First Birthday tickersNikohl

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shy_Dia
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Dollar store has a ton of baby stuff. Thrift stores. Freecycle is my best friend, even the free section on Craigslist.

I still have no idea what I'm gonna do for ds' Christmas. Psh, idk how I'm gonna get him jeans within the next week! Lol

cara124
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Dollar stores are great ! Thrift stores , yard sales , free section on craigslist ...
cara124
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM
There are also online survey sites that "Pay" with gift cards
gee18
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm on the same boat :( she will be 7 months when christmas comes around
PooBearr
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM
HEY. Everyone, about Craigslist's free section...... not trying to get murdered here LOL!!! xD
tabe1012
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I always shop at a consignment store. Is there one near you? I get all kinds of clothes and toys and things for my son there for reasonable prices.
Jennyanne322
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM
2 moms liked this
What if you make presents instead?
just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM

So sorry you are going through this ...I know you want your angel to have a special first Christmas even if  she does not understand... I never had to use it myself , but there was this place called "Pumpkin Patch" where you can buy gently used clothing/toys  ..think it is a consignment store..check your city for consignment stores...Good Luck.... personally I would not use Craigs list for anything!!! but JMO...

makenewfriends
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi, I'm in the same boat as far as being low on funds and wanting the best holiday for my lil one, but what's good is we are thinking about it now and not in December :) I'm new to the site here, so I'm not sure if I'm able to list actual links available to your area, but one thing I'll be doing is going to Toys for Tots online and applying for assistance where they will try& give the child 1-2 gifts. Also, look up local pregnancy resource org sites, or pregnancy aid-often the sites end with .org, and will list the locations&numbers nearest to you if you search with your City and State in the search field. I then go online to 211 and look up the local resources for family and basic needs, sometimes you can find pregnancy aid stores where you can go and get things for free, toys, books, and clothes, but they have limited hours, and you can only go every so often. Others that I've found through the local DSHS Community resources list that you can pick up at WIC or the DCHS site (community resources info from DSHS) will take the old clothes that no longer fit and other items like baby accessories and trade you item for item and everything is plainly marked a range between .25 to $3-though I can't be sure where you live, but again, it's worth a shot. At local churches, many times when they offer the food bank they offer clothing banks as well, and some have special events or fund raisers for Christmas-I would ask how to get on the other end of the fund raiser for my lil guy:) Also, I would try to go through the clothes that she's out grown that aren't fitting anymore and don't have sentimental value, and any toys she has out grown the need or desire for. I'd check online for local consignment shops, then get the numbers. Before I lug my stuff in, I call and ask what the trade in for store credit is and if its an option, instead of them taking the items and waiting 3 months down the line for a check or again store credit issued. Finding out that they take clothes or toys for trade/store credit and that its granted as soon as they look over everything and decide what they'll take-I ask what they are currently looking for as well. It can be hard with really young clothing as at least from those I have talked to, they state it doesn't sell as much due to many having baby showers or being registered, etc. But you never know until you try. Then I'll probably try Goodwill and try to look up the nearest Goodwill Outlet-yeah, I know right? They have an outlet - at least around here- and I'll try to get what I couldn't find at the other places there. I can't relate with balancing mom and family, my parents passed away not long ago, or at least it seems like it wasn't too long ago. I'd ask what they were getting your daughter so not to duplicate, and if your friends in high school are close to you and asking what you'd like for Christmas, I'd ask for visa gift cards so I could go to the thrift stores and get as much as I could, maybe splurge and ask for a TJ Maxx or something of the like, not too expensive, but a place that has new boxed items and toys. For the family, I think they would understand if you gave them cards this Christmas and pictures of the baby with them in a dollar store frame kinda thing. And there's always making the cookie batches in a jar fun. But you get my point. I've literally made my son a rattle-drum thing with a round empty Quaker oats oatmeal container and cut the lid off, put some safe but small like bolls or random things that clanked around, then taped it back up Really good and he went to town with it for a long time. Another hit was party streamers and just letting him have at it. Made a mess but it was fun. At that age, it's really about the wrapping paper fun, the boxes and colors. If you do crafts at all, I'd start collecting different shaped boxes that could be stack ables for her-paint them with numbers, blacks, whites, her favorite characters at the moment, and maybe pick up some stickers or other items at the dollar spot at a local Target if you have one near you. Be on the look out for sales this time of year also, price tracking sites for special items, sign up for emails for extra or early notifications of sales or discounts, and compare price sites, and coupon sites help. If you dare, there is black Friday, although I do what I can online and check the hours for certain items before hand. I know its a lot of work, trust me, I'm doing it all myself too-though I'm all done with school, which I commend you for continuing on and raising a lil one so well. It will get easier and you have a good heart and are a good mom for asking for ideas. I hope some of these ideas help you out and wish you the best. I'm sure with her mommy there beside her on Christmas morning, she'll be the happiest baby ever with the pretty lights, the decorations to look at and take in...memories. I hope you and your family are on good terms. If I were you, I'd give a simple gift along with my sincere deepest gratitude&love to my mom if I could, for being my mom and my baby's grandmother, and let her know I appreciate her even through the hard times. I very much hope you and your family do get along. I imagine it is a support that is unmatched. I'm happy for you. Hey, if you get any other ideas, feel free to let me in on em! :) P.S. Sorry so long! Another cheaper way to make it special on the 1st Christmas is home pictures, but you can get/use basic onesies and at the craft store they have letters that you can put on various items, like iron onto clothes (Baby's 1st Christmas 2013" etc), or picture ornaments, coffee mugs, paintables, maybe planters? or plain wood frames to either paint or use the letters for family gifts to mimic those "Worlds Best Grandma/Aunt/Etc" Just another thought. Best of luck!

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:24 PM
3 moms liked this

Let me tell you a short story.  When I was 4 months old, my father drank all the money for my first Christmas.  My mom had like $10 from getting paid to alter a pair of pants for someone.  So she bought me this stuffed dog and that was my only present that year.  I have absolutely no memory of that or the next several Christmases, but 32 years later, I still have that stuffed dog - you can see straight through him and everything.

You could do some handprints, one for you and one for her when she is older.  For your family, you could print some photos and frame them.  I do that a lot for gifts, especially the grandparents because they have everything.  And do you use Pinterest?  There are TONS of things you can make for everyone.  Here are some that could be made with remnants from the fabric store http://www.babble.com/baby/12-amazing-diy-free-tutorials-baby-toys/fabric-beach-balls/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)