broken heartShow of hands for those who have gone through a breakup and dropped some lbs? My hand is up. And as horrible as it sounds, it's kind of a good thing.

Getting dumped is awful and makes you feel like the girl at the dance left alone during the slow songs. But fitting into your skinny jeans again is a boost. A sick boost, but a boost. Oh gosh, why are we so vain?

We just are. All of us a little. We want to look good and looking good makes us feel good and the opposite of feeling good is being dumped. So the bright side of a breakup is what we call a "breakup diet," the one where if you even think about food, you want to hurl.

Girl, I've been there. It's not fun. But as demented as it may sound, it felt real good to slip into my once too-tight pants again. And there I go again getting mad at myself for thinking such rubbish. I know being "skinny" isn't everything. But I think the getting skinnier after a breakup is your body's way of sort of expelling those pounds you put on during your relationship ... when things were all happy and you would sit around and share a sleeve of Newman's Os together while watching a movie at 11 o'clock at night. That muffin top you acquired because your man liked to cook three-course meals using heavy cream is going going gone because that man moved out.

Hey, an avocado and cheese sandwich on whole grain bread can be just as good. Bowl of cereal?

This weight loss situation isn't going to last though -- once the most awful part of the heartbreak starts to subside, chances are you'll be craving sleeves of Newman's Os again in no time. Because there is a connection between our hearts and our stomachs.

YourTango experts Marina Pearson and Debra Smouse reminded us that the mind and the body are connected (hello!) and being upset affects our immune system, which in turn hurts our tummies, making us lose interest in food. Sure some of us turn to cupcakes and ice cream after a breakup (I like to go for chocolate chip cookies, personally), but it seems most of us end up disinterested in our typical caloric intake. Smouse said:

It's as if there is a connection between our stomachs and our hearts, and any food crossing our lips sends us into physical pain. We're unable to swallow. We force ourselves to eat something, and it immediately comes back up. Though we aren't quite ready to feel healing and hope, we don't desire to feel any more pain, so we abstain from eating.

I feel so sad reading that. Stress messes up our appetite. Plan and simple. We're just going to choose to embrace it because what choice do we have? Get more stressed about not being into food, which in turn leads to a deeper issue? Ride the post-breakup wave and say goodbye to that dead weight ... you'll be back to eating like you once did soon enough. Hey, I'm trying to see the bright side here. Maybe you'll even pick up some healthier habits as a result. I sure did. (Sort of. COOKIES!)

Do you lose weight and your appetite after a breakup?