Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Hows your job going?

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM
  • 17 Replies
Lets talk about our jobs. As single moms i know we take our jobs a tad more seriously than the average Joe. So much is depending on it. Mine i think about a lot. I work predominantely in a male oriented occupation. In fact I'm one of only 5 women in a work place of around 300 men. The pressure is on me lately because a lot of people know friends they want hired and im an electrician. We make good money! So a few knives in my back. Mainly by one of the 5 women. This to me is very low of her especially since she got her start in electrical and now does plumbing supervision. She should realize its tough to make a break. Anyhow...how is your job? Are you treated fairly? Equally?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
27Peanuts
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I work in a group home for the mentally disabled. I work part time. But at the same time, I am in way glad for that. I see in some of my co-workers, who work at least 4 days out a week...the toll it is taking on them. Imagine trying to talk to an adult with the mentality of 7 y/o, or the comprehension of a toddler. Some of them repeat the same question they asked just 5 minutes...MINUTES, ago. At the same time, it requires patience and absolute love, not for the job, but for people to do this job with attention to the details. I think I've been given that gift. And as egotistical as that may sound, I do think that is true and makes me proud of myself for it. I used to say that I wanted to have lots of kids, when I was WAAAAAy , younger. And well, I guess these are them. I have a son. And he just loves me to death. And because he's got such a tremendous heart, he helps me love even more...his love helps me to be so nurturing at this job. The pay isn't what I would like, nor the hours...but I can honestly say, I feel proud of what I do. It has taken great effort for me to be appreciative of it...I don't always enjoy it, but at the same time, I am not ashamed of where and what I do. 

steviechick
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's cool that you are an electrician.  More power to you!  I barely hear of women being in that kind of profession.  Too bad that sometimes women have the need for power struggles and the need to backstab at work.  But, just remember the managers are seeing this as well.  Just keep doing the good job you are doing and being professional.  You will look better to the managers when special jobs come and and/or promotions.  Your co-worker is missing her own opportunties in life. 

My job is easy and laid back.  I work in sales/management for an auto parts rep company.  I work with two other men.  We all work well together.  No power struggles.  We all get along and treat each other equally.  In fact, we all work so well together that we go out and have lunch together.  It's the best job I've ever had and the best group of people I've had the priviledge of working with.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Years ago I was one of the first women in combat units, 15 women 600 men, so I completely understand what you are going through. Hold your head high and bond with the men, more often than not they are the ones who will have your back instead of the cats with knives and claws that you work with.

My job is going really well. I have been here for 15 months and have no desire to go anywhere else. Great benefts and vacation time (we shut down for 2 weeks over the Christmas holiday and still get paid) and good people to work with.  My boss told me the other day that he is going to start cross training me on his job so if for some reason he is out for an extended period that I can do his job or if he takes a different job that I would be a shoe in to get his job.

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I like my job. I don't like the strict point system in place. My plan is to hopefully get promoted into the corporate offices with regular working hours.

strongerwtime
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:07 PM

thankfully treated fairly..pay is making ends meet like I need it to but the job is good.  Im respected. Treated fairly, that I know of. 

alexis_06
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:15 AM
1 mom liked this

my jobs ok...its nothing exciting!! i work at a customer service desk, dealing with people returning things to me all day long! so i hear all sorts of excuses/lies!! which drives me crazy!  but..its where the hours are at the company..so..i deal with it!

HOWEVER!!! i am kinda pissed, because my manager came up to me the other day and told me that i had a secret shopper...and that i failed the "expectations checklist"....i live in canada...and you have to be 19 to buy cigarettes, and our store policy is that if we think you look under 30 we HAVE to check your i.d....well apparently i sold a pack of cigs to a girl who was 21...(which is legal) but yet i didnt ask her for i.d. so i got in trouble, got written up on my permanent record and then i had to go thru the whole "selling tobacoo policy thing" with a test afterwards...and it just makes me mad, because she was old enough!!!!!!!!!!  

Cenedra64
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 5:48 AM
Customer service is a very hard job. I worked it when i was younger. I learned i'm not a people person LOL at least not in that stressful capacity.

Quoting alexis_06:

my jobs ok...its nothing exciting!! i work at a customer service desk, dealing with people returning things to me all day long! so i hear all sorts of excuses/lies!! which drives me crazy!  but..its where the hours are at the company..so..i deal with it!

HOWEVER!!! i am kinda pissed, because my manager came up to me the other day and told me that i had a secret shopper...and that i failed the "expectations checklist"....i live in canada...and you have to be 19 to buy cigarettes, and our store policy is that if we think you look under 30 we HAVE to check your i.d....well apparently i sold a pack of cigs to a girl who was 21...(which is legal) but yet i didnt ask her for i.d. so i got in trouble, got written up on my permanent record and then i had to go thru the whole "selling tobacoo policy thing" with a test afterwards...and it just makes me mad, because she was old enough!!!!!!!!!!  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boeks
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I just started my job in April. I am an accountant at the HQ for a company that owns 4 metal stamping plants. I love my job. Its exactly what I wanted to do when I went to school for accounting. Even better is that I have full benefits that the company pays for completely. Yesterday we just found out that the owner bought the accounting department tickets to see Trans Siberian Orchestra. The owner also brings in doughnuts about once a week and if he has customers he buys all of HQ lunch. The money is great too. I'm finally getting caught back up and will soon be able to start putting money in savings.

camommy08
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I work at a hospital. I deliver the patients meals. its been stressful cause they are changing how everything is done. my lead is ok. she has her moments but a good deal of the time she very mean

kristinas8
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM

My job is school atm and it's sucking. I have no friends and my boyfriend broke up with me. I don't know, if it weren't for my kids, I'd completely give up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)