Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Online Dating: OMG So many responses!

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:49 AM
  • 51 Replies

I just want to know what is "normal" for responses to an online dating profile. I have never done this before, and I had a real heart break this past week. So I decided that I needed to "get back on the horse," so to speak, and I filled out a profile at ChristianMingle.com, just for fun.

That was three hours ago.

I have over 50 hits on my profile and about 15 emails. Some are from REALLY GOOD LOOKING MEN, and they're all in my neck of the woods.

I am completely floored! Is this normal? For those of you who are doing this regularly, do you have any tips for me? I'm replying to these guys, but now I'm wondering if that makes me an "online dating ho!" LOL!

HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLP!!!

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexis_06
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:54 AM
1 mom liked this

wow!!  that's alot!! LOL   have fun with that!  ;)

i personally, have no idea what the "norm" is tho..happy mingling! :)

SheciaBaby
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:14 AM
4 moms liked this
About 90% of those people in your inbox won't go far. They don't for me. I don't understand why people message me and then immediately ask for my number.. No I don't give my number out. Or the conversation is dull. Or they want to meet up for sex.
I'd say good luck! Just filter them all out and see if u get the right one
rfhsure
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Normal. You're new! Only a select few will actually be interesting
ChewyBrownies
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:20 AM
They banned me :(
Solo_Fan
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 4:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Be careful... a lot will ask for your number right away to text.  Look for your red flags.  A lot don't use their real pictures either.  Good luck.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

This - be very careful.

Quoting rfhsure:

Normal. You're new! Only a select few will actually be interesting

austenheroine
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

When I checked this morning, I was up to 64 hits and even more emails from men. There is one that looks safe. I am being excessively careful and will not give my phone number out.

I also decided to pay for one month of service, because someone told me that criminals do not pay usually and this weeds out the dangerous guys. They also said it's a 50-50 percentage between good guys and creeps. I will just tread lightly and see what happens.

So far, I have been astounded at the number of emails.

I also have posted  a "Deal Breakers" list, which tells them that if you are a felon, mentally ill, a drug user, an adulterer ... do not reply to my bio. That has seemed to weed out a lot of them. They look but do not reply.

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Be VERY cautious. these sites are full of scammers. Verify these guys are local. I would not drag out meeting them. find a couple you are interested in, get their numbers, and arrange a brief meeting in public.

austenheroine
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Scary.

Thank you for the pointers. Because this the first time I've done this, it's a little wild.

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

Be VERY cautious. these sites are full of scammers. Verify these guys are local. I would not drag out meeting them. find a couple you are interested in, get their numbers, and arrange a brief meeting in public.

mz23
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Quoting austenheroine:

When I checked this morning, I was up to 64 hits and even more emails from men. There is one that looks safe. I am being excessively careful and will not give my phone number out.

I also decided to pay for one month of service, because someone told me that criminals do not pay usually and this weeds out the dangerous guys. They also said it's a 50-50 percentage between good guys and creeps. I will just tread lightly and see what happens.

So far, I have been astounded at the number of emails.

I also have posted  a "Deal Breakers" list, which tells them that if you are a felon, mentally ill, a drug user, an adulterer ... do not reply to my bio. That has seemed to weed out a lot of them. They look but do not reply.

Do you really think that last part is gonna make someone stop? I no offense but I hope you have more sense then that. Im sure theres some nice genuine guys on there but i ddoubt theres too many "catches." Smart, attractive, rich, and nice usually dont need to ho online for a date. Just sainI don't mean to be a neg nelley, just be careful. I hope you find someone nice GL. And a week is very fast to move on to the next but to each his own.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN