Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Can Our Baby Jus Be My Baby?

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM
  • 22 Replies

How difficult or easy is it to have full custody of your baby?

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexis_06
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM

every situation is different...i took my ex to court thinking there was NO way he would get anything...turns out i was soooo wrong!!

TheCollegeMom
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Do you guys have joint custody?

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Dad has as much rights as you do to the child unless a court deems otherwise. For that to happen they have to be a totally screwed up ie; child molester, murderer etc.

That being said, it is possible to have full physical and legal custody but that's usually given when dad is the one to say its okay. I do have full phys and legal, kids see their dad when we agree upon. No set visitation schedule.

TheCollegeMom
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:33 PM

He has commented in msgs that he doesnt want custody! Will that hold up in court? He also has not communicated with me since Ive been pregnant.

steviechick
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM

The only way you can full custody is if the father gives up his rights, is an abuser (physical, drug, alcoholic) or in jail.  Not sure of your circumstances but if the father isn't capable of taking care of his child then you have a good chance at gaining full custody.

steviechick
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Texting doens't make it legal.  He has to sign a document (legal) giving up his rights to custody. 

Quoting TheCollegeMom:

He has commented in msgs that he doesnt want custody! Will that hold up in court? He also has not communicated with me since Ive been pregnant.

TheCollegeMom
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:40 PM

We have had a few tussles where he'd be unfit because of his temper.

bluedeaj
by Deidre on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this

If he truly doesn't want custody and would like to give up his rights text him asking if he'd be willing to go to court for giving up parental rights, because that is the only way it will be set in stone that he will have no responsibility legally.  If he says okay than that's awesome and you can do that.  Hopefully he won't fight you about it.

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:32 PM
If you want full custody then Fike. If he wants visits the courts will likely give him some. If you are single you cannot terminate rights but if he chooses to be uninvolved that's his choice. If you go on any govt assistance he will be required to pay child support.
woodstock525
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Quoting TheCollegeMom:

We have had a few tussles where he'd be unfit because of his temper.

When these occurred, did you call the police and file domestic violence charges?  If not, it's like it never happened.  Plus, many times the courts will look at something like this as being between you and the stbx and it has nothing to do with the other parent getting visitation unless they are abusive to the child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)