Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Dating and single parenting sucks

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:00 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this
So I met someone by accident after two years of being single (gf brought a guy over to my table as a joke to try to embarrass me since I embarrassed her w/her bf). Well it backfired big time b/c we completely hit it off. We have the same career. Same likes and dislikes. Can talk to each other about anything and everything as if we'd known each other for years. Been seeing each other over a month now. The problem? We are both single parents so its hard finding time to see each other. He has his son one week on and one week off. I have my son almost every day. We both agree its too soon to introduce our boys (5 and 4). But it sucks. You get tired of texting and talking. Wish it would be easier to date as a single parent :-(
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:06 AM
lol I agree. Maybe you can find a babysitter one week that he doesn't have his son and the 2 of you could go out?
sid1083
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Some days I think that too. But then I flip it around as if I were in BD's shoes (at least for my situation)…no way on God's green earth would I be content just sending a check every month and never seeing my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:14 AM
It definitely is hard to date as a single parent. As a pp suggested can you get a sitter for a night you know he doesn't have his son.
NaviHope
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I'm glad you found someone...sometimes it's bittersweet to find someone.  I finally clicked with a great guy after not even looking.  He is a long distance dad and sees his son once a month.  I have my kids all school year and they go with their dad for the summer.  We are slowly falling apart because we just don't get to keep that connection going.  I try to get a sitter but that doesn't always happen.  I wasn't really wanting to do family dates introductions and such.  We tried him coming over when the kids are asleep but we grew tired of those late nights too.  Truth is, there just isn't much time to devote.  We are taking a break only because life seems to be getting in the way.

Navi

ngarciaf
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Fortunately my son's father watches him Wednesday evenings n Sundays. So we try and make it work those days. Just sucks having to wait every other week. Texting gets boring. But we see each other and it's like no time has passed by.

Quoting SexyDiva19:

lol I agree. Maybe you can find a babysitter one week that he doesn't have his son and the 2 of you could go out?

ngarciaf
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM
So very true. I try and look at the positive side. No way would I want to give up my time away from my son for a date.

Quoting sid1083:

Some days I think that too. But then I flip it around as if I were in BD's shoes (at least for my situation)…no way on God's green earth would I be content just sending a check every month and never seeing my kids.

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Your title says it all! Do you have an occasional babysitter? Meet up for lunch a few days a week? At least he can understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steviechick
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been dating just over two months now.  My bf lives 45 minutes away.  His kids are grown but the distance does keep us from seeing each other a lot more.  We both work full-time during the week and mostly see each other on the weekends.  We have been starting to see each other during the week so we can see each other more.  We meet half-way and have dinner for a few hours.  My daughter still lives with me and attends a local college.  My bf has stated a few times that he would come over and see me but doesn't want to run into the daughter just yet.  He wants to wait and meet her later.  I totally get that.  When we do meet I've come up to see him or he comes by and picks me up and then we take off and do things to be later dropped off at night.  When I come up to see him we are alone and there are no kids to feel uneasy.  He has come over for a a little while at night after a dinner date but leaves before my daughter comes home from work.  He said that would come by more often to see me but it was hard knowing that my daughter still lives with me.  His kids are all on their own.  In fact, he became an empty nester this past July.  As far away as we live from each other we have found it best to see each other when we can.  It's worked well so far.  We text during the day and at night just to stay in touch and let each other know we are still thinking of each other. 

When you have a long distance relationship and/or one that involves kids you can work things out.  In every early relationship there is compromise on both sides.  I would look at the bf's schedule and yours and see when is the best time you both are free from kids and/or can hire a babysitter so you both can go out on a date.  Even if its for a few hours at least you are together. 

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

why dont you just introduce the kids as friends and see each other only very occasionally. dont you have other male friends?

mmpdrs07
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

The guy im dating has children but they live out of state, so I started off meeting him at the park as a friend of mine.  Things have now grown and my son knows who he is and we go do things together regularly and my son is there as well.  My sons father checked out when we split and has had no contact with his son since our split in April.  If you wanted I would start off meeting like I did at the park and what not and let the kids play or just let your little one play while you got to spend some time together.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN