Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you make ends meet while waiting for child support to start

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM
  • 25 Replies
I'm newly divorced and my ex had been paying me the court ordered amount while our divorce was on going. Now that its final and I'm waiting for the courts to get us in the system and to begin deducting his pay and hopefully sending me the money in a speedy manner, how do you make ends meet and basically survive without that support? Is anyone aware of any state funding to help you pay even the basics like utilities and groceries in the meantime? I live in Michigan and any guidance is welcome! Thanks in advance!

Struggling to keep the roof on

Discover myself

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM

In my state, you can't get divorced if you're still living together.  But you can't get CS, etc. unless you're divorced.   So to get my divorced started I moved out along with our two daughters.  To make ends meet I cut back, bought Ramoon noodles, chili, only basic cable, etc.

I was going to school at the time so I used my student loans to supplement my income until I got CS.  It took eight months before I got my first CS payment.

Other say they used credit cards and borrowed from family and friends.

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Food stamps, we have heating assistance here in IL. Cut back on ALL except what you need to survive and get a second job if you already have one.
I don't even see cs. Ex is $12k behind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Is your ex not willing to just keep paying you? It is not required to go through cs enforcement. I've been divorced for almost 6 years and my ex transfers the money to my account every month. We have a court order but never had a deduction/cse.

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM
I don't qualify for aide so I have to suck it up until I get cs or get paid. My rent is due on the first $1320 for a one bedroom apartment so I'm always strapped at the first half of the month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:58 PM

 i worked and never relied on it in the first place. my ex paid. sometimes CSE screws up and you dont get the money. one time, his biweekly check came out 3 in one month and they just used the whole thing on arrears and i got shorted the next month.

if dude pays why dont you just let him pay you?

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I work 2 jobs and still qualify for food stamps and help with my electric bill during the higher months.  I haven't been able to get my CS started due to my ex hiding to avoid court.  I doubt I will ever see a dime of CS so I don't have cable, no internet at home, only buy food that I know will be eaten and cut back anywhere else I can.  Some months are harder than others and I found out last week I cannot get help with daycare because I live in one county and my son goes to daycare in another county and he has to go in the county we live in.  Well if I did that I would spend just as much in gas as I pay in daycare just about running back and forth to take my son and pick him up.  

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM

It used to be (and may still be) that if you accept public assistance that you have to assign welfare your child support.  What that meant was that if you had any arrearage at all and took welfare benefits, that the welfare department would get to keep any child support arrearage and current child support paid except for a certain amount (used to be $50 per month) that they would send to you. 

With child support, I never counted on it to pay my bills.  I did at first, but then when he stopped paying and it became irregular and it screwed up my whole budget, I learned very quickly that when it came, it was great...I would put it in the bank and use it to pay for things for the kids, but I never ever depended on it to pay any of my bills.

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Cut back and only buy things you need, try collecting soda cans and find somewhere in your area to sell them (if possible. Not a huge chunk of money but a few pounds could easily help you get dollar burgers). 

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:36 PM
No clue I've never gotten cs I budget only get necessities rarely other things and save for the unexpected
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 3:00 AM

 i never depended on getting my cs money...if i get it, great..if not..oh well!  and lately i havent been getting it.  :(   do you have any family that can maybe help out for a bit?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)