Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How do you make ends meet while waiting for child support to start

I'm newly divorced and my ex had been paying me the court ordered amount while our divorce was on going. Now that its final and I'm waiting for the courts to get us in the system and to begin deducting his pay and hopefully sending me the money in a speedy manner, how do you make ends meet and basically survive without that support? Is anyone aware of any state funding to help you pay even the basics like utilities and groceries in the meantime? I live in Michigan and any guidance is welcome! Thanks in advance!

Struggling to keep the roof on

Discover myself

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Replies (21-25):
Discovermyself
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Thanks for the tips ladies and yes I'm budgeting but its not enough to go around. As my luck tends to be horrible to begin with now I'm having car issues and the plumbing is acting up in the house as well. I can't get a 2nd job right now unless its cash under the table as that will screw up my CS. The CS office did not calculate the support correctly and since it took them 2 months to do it in the first place, my lawyer advised to let it slide till January and have them re-calcukate then as he gets a yearly raise this month too. I'm just hoping to be able to have some kind of Christmas for my kids this year.
Jaghd810
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM

You have to change your way of living. My budget is made without adding in child support. Because there is no guarantee you will always get it. You will figure out what needs to be cut. Move to a cheaper place. Get a cheaper car. Stop worrying about what other people think. 

Discovermyself
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm working full time already, can't get a 2nd job as that won't work for me both time wise and with the kids schedules. Also it would then mean even less cs that I'm supposed to get. He's supposed to pay half for all the kids expenses (sports, school, etc) on top of cs but is refusing to do it and owes my around $1300.

I've done some research and I don't qualify for state aid because apparently I make too much. I've already cut down to the bare essentials and I'm still robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I'm sure it will get better in time I'm just currently at my wits end.
Discovermyself
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM
I'm not worried what other people think in the least. I can't move as I won the house in the divorce and with everything my kids have gone thru this year, our home is the only thing that can rely and feel safe about.

Quoting Jaghd810:

You have to change your way of living. My budget is made without adding in child support. Because there is no guarantee you will always get it. You will figure out what needs to be cut. Move to a cheaper place. Get a cheaper car. Stop worrying about what other people think. 

hnye77
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)