Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I got into business school!!!! But which one to choose :/

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM
  • 7 Replies

Yayyyyy. Lol. So I got into Northeastern University. Really good school with excellent credentials. Classes start on November 18th (slight bummer because I'm still out on disability and since my job is the one paying a portion it poses just a teeny problem since I won't be returning until around December) but that's the least of my worries. I think I may have also got into the University of Scranton. Also an excellent school....just not as great as Northeastern. However Northeastern is approx $69,000 and Scranton is around $43,000. My job only covers a small portion. Is an MBA just an MBA or would you guys consider prestige? I don't wanna be in debt coming out of grad school (considering I already am from undergrad) would you guys go with a name or just choose the cheaper option? Any personal info on either school is greatly appreciated!!!

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Id do the cheaper one personally so I didn't have debt
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Check this out

http://www.geteducated.com/forums/8-online-mba-programs/73-deciding-between-several-aacsb-distance-mba-programs

lee2362
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Thanks!!! I saw this a couple weeks ago but they added more responses so thanks  4 suggesting :)

Quoting krisnkids:

Check this out

http://www.geteducated.com/forums/8-online-mba-programs/73-deciding-between-several-aacsb-distance-mba-programs

woodstock525
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Another thing to consider that some folks may not be aware of, if you are planning to go for your Master/PhD, many colleges/universities offer Graduate Assistantships and Teaching Assistantships.  In exchange for covering the cost of your tuition and fees, discount on books, and providing you with a stipend to live on (varies by school and location), in a GAship or TA ship you would work in a college office for approximately 20 hours per week or teach a certain number of lower level (freshman/sophomore usually) classes...typically 2 classes per semester. 

Another way to pay for college for yourself and your dependents is to get a job at a college/university.  The tuition benefits do vary widely depending on the college/university where you might work.  But, it typically doesn't matter if you are on the cleaning crew or have an office job or other professional position, you and possibly your spouse/kids could qualify for tuition benefits at that school.  Some private colleges may provide free tution to other colleges/universities as well. 

alexis_06
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 3:22 AM
1 mom liked this

i wouldnt want the debt, so i'd probably go for the cheaper one as well..

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Nov. 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't want the debt either but also if you are going to continue on make sure courses can go anywhere. Congrats!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bribriesmom
by Valentina on Nov. 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM
I'm going back to school and don't want the debt and the stress that comes with it. If there's no difference in the schools and it's just the price, go with the cheaper.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)