Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Halloween question...religious related

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM
  • 19 Replies

So, this year since my daughter went trick or treating I decided to dress her up as something related to us and our Jewish faith. She went as matzah. It was simple, cheap and easy to do and it was easy for her to wear.

However I was told I was a horrible parent for dressing her up as something religious. I want to dress her up as a blue ballerina with stars of David on her tutu next year if she some how goes trick or treating, but I was told by a friend that's horrible too.

Most of the people at our Temple don't do Halloween, so if I have the day off then we won't be trick or treating. But what do you ladies think? Am I horrible for dressing her up in religious related stuff?

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM

No! Look around. Sexy cats, sexy this, sexy that...dress her up as you wish! 

mz23
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Do they not celebrate halloween? If so there Iis probably a reason. I have no idea if they do or not but I can see how they may take offense. Plus theres many religions who look down on celebratingholloween maybe your friend doesnt think religion should be mixed Iin with somethin non religious or against jewish faith. lLol I dont know
bluedeaj
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM

? that's ridiculous.  If you are doing halloween dress up as whatever you want.  Though, I can see a lil bit where mz23 is coming from.  If your friend that says this feels dressing up with jewish religion for halloween might be considered not cool.

I'd do it anyway.

MomToNeeners
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

This person does celebrate Halloween. I'm Jewish, they are not Jewish, and even my Rabbi said that there's no problem with it because we're Reformed and many Reformed families take their children out trick or treating. Honestly, I am not a fan of doing the trick or treating thing. I would rather have her stay in and do something else, but it was a day care thing. Orthodox Jews do not participate because of the Pagan ties.

cupcake_mom
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:29 PM
I bet she looked cute. Wish i could have seen her
Misha1204
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM
This!

Quoting brittybby2010:

No! Look around. Sexy cats, sexy this, sexy that...dress her up as you wish! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM
That's crazy! Dress her how you want. They sound like they would criticize you for whatever you dressed her up as
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomToNeeners
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Oh I took pics!

Here's one of them...she was going to day care and the day care lady let her knock on the door and gave her candy even though she was actually going there.

bigmama423
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM
I say, it's Halloween so it shouldn't be that big of a deal...plus honestly I've seen a lot worse...I'm not religious though...
cupcake_mom
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM
She should be a dradel(s) next year

Quoting MomToNeeners:

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Oh I took pics!

Here's one of them...she was going to day care and the day care lady let her knock on the door and gave her candy even though she was actually going there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN