Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Halloween question...religious related

Posted by   + Show Post

So, this year since my daughter went trick or treating I decided to dress her up as something related to us and our Jewish faith. She went as matzah. It was simple, cheap and easy to do and it was easy for her to wear.

However I was told I was a horrible parent for dressing her up as something religious. I want to dress her up as a blue ballerina with stars of David on her tutu next year if she some how goes trick or treating, but I was told by a friend that's horrible too.

Most of the people at our Temple don't do Halloween, so if I have the day off then we won't be trick or treating. But what do you ladies think? Am I horrible for dressing her up in religious related stuff?

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Replies (11-19):
MomToNeeners
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Maybe, if she goes out. Her god parents will be taking over care for her for now on. One had major surgery and that's the only reason why she goes to day care right now. As soon as the doctor gives the green light, no more day care! Her god parents will decide if she's going to go trick or treating next year, but since she'll be 2.5 years old I assume she will have an opinion on what she would like to go as?

Bribriesmom
by Valentina on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM
I'm spiritual and not religious, my daughter and I dressed up, but I can see how some may have been offended.
MomToNeeners
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:26 AM

She went as a piece of unrisen bread. It's bread...

PooBearr
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

No, do what you want. My friend dressed up as Jesus one year and made it a hilarious big deal to mock Him because he was atheist. Now THAT is wrong, but if it's YOUR religion, then I honestly don't see what's wrong with it?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Dress her in whatever you want
PinkButterfly66
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I think the child should decide her costume, not the parent.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM

No - You do whatever you want. 

katrina.0822
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Kids dress up as angels and devils. I don;t see the harm in it.

steviechick
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I don't see how that costume would be offending to a Jewish person.  I'm not Jewish but a costume is a costume.  Since when are there 'standards' for what kind of costume you pick out?  Halloween is about choosing a costume, getting candy and having fun. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)