Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Gifts: buy new or buy thrifty?

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 8:50 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you prefer buying gifts for others new, or are you okay going to a thrift store and picking up a few nice things to save some cash?

How about if the gift is for you? Would you mind a thrift store gift, or does it seem cheap to you?

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Blovesyouuu
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 8:53 AM
I always buy new. For some reason, I feel like thrift stores are dirty or at least the ones around here.
sid1083
by Silver Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:48 AM
I've done both ways. If the gift is for me, if much prefer something someone has put thought into that they think if like. If it means it's used or regifted that's fine by me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RonaH
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I think it all depends on the gift if its the perfect thing for someone and happens to be used i know it wouldn't bug my family we pass things around all the time. if its for a Friend or someone I don't know that well its defiantly new even if its bargain shopped. I typically don't go used cause I usually have certain things in mind so I just wait till a good deal comes along. BUT I'm not against it all and that includes for myself.

MandaMom23
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM

For others I buy new, I just think it is the right thing to do.  I don't go to thrift stores much but if it is something for me personally I would buy there.

jasminebanks
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Cenedra64
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I buy just for me and the girls. I did a thrift store christmas one yr it turned out great! The girls were happy. I couldnt afford much that yr and well my daughter was into How to train your dragon. I just happened along two of the giant How to train your dragon stuffed toys. They got a lot of games brand new unopened. Only cost me less than a buck a piece. I saved $ and they had a great christmas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bigmama423
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I really think it depends. There's some pretty awesome thrift shops around here and some even have new stuff that get thrown into the mix.

alexis_06
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM

i normally buy gifts for people new..unless i know its something they really want, and can only find it used...

as for receiving, i'm not picky! :)  new, old...i like them all!!  lol

sharon6345
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM

To be honest I like free gifts. lol listia.com I am getting packages all month long. I got loads of wen haircare and that is fine with me. my daughter gets most of her hollister clothing here free too. just list a $5 walmsrt card to start and get some points and go shopping. I have 18 auctions going now and will be getting my daughter a diamond candle here free next month. 

Liastele
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:40 AM

It depends what the item is. Why pay full retail for a Nintendo 3DS game when the used ones are half price? I shop used for my kids. The box goes in the trash, so its not like the box was overly important.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN