Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

visitation

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:24 AM
  • 10 Replies
Has anyone had to deal with the other parent saying he would choose work over spending time with his son because he says he is just that greedy?
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amantonacci
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:48 AM

No... But what is it you want to do about it? It's his decision to make 

sid1083
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM
No. I'd take it at face value though and not push the issue - even if visitation would benefit the child - as dad has made his choice. But I'd take that excuse over "well things got in the way" (with no further explanation).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM
That's his decision to make. I work as much overtime as I can because I need the money to pay bills and have to get it while it's available. Of course I'd rather be with ds, but bills must get paid. How do you know that's not what he's doing? Maybe he'd rather buy your child things then spend time with him (some people think you can buy love).
MomToNeeners
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Yep! My daughter's father couldn't care less about her, but he doesn't pay for anything and we don't have any contact with him.

firedup813
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:24 PM

It's a rough realization to come to terms with, for sure ... but I think that him saying he's just that greedy is him really not dealing with his own decision or the negative emotions he might be feelling ... or he's just a total douche bag, lol. Either way, it sucks for you and your child, but the other moms are right, there's not much you can do about it.

My son's father begged for three weekends a month for visitation, but he doesn't use any of them. We've had fight after fight about this because of the discrepency between visitation time and child support amount, but I've come to realize that I just need to step up and be more of a man than him. That all said, I've managed to supplement his absence by giving his visitation time to his parents instead. My son's grandparents pick him up, drop him off, and keep him for the allotted visitation time, two weekends a month, sometimes three, and even pitch in with buying whatever my son needs including food and clothes and over-spoil him for birthdays and christmas, lol. I'm really lucky to have them because they provide a link to my son's father (who tends to visit one night every other week), but without abrubt interruption and unneccessary strife for my son over his father. He's only 6, but he's really starting to notice that his dad just isn't as involved as he used to be, and his grandparents tend to help distract from that a bit -- for the time being.

Anyway, this arrangement has been a big help to me, so maybe this is something you could try, or maybe it'll spark an idea in your brain of some creative way to handle this situation. Good luck!

bigmama423
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM
No.
That's awful, but if that's his attitude then it's probably best that he's not in your son's life. :/
edhmom114
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM

he says he wants to be but fights about paying and since Cs and visitation are two separate issues I can't hold one against the other. He doesn't get why I make a big issue about his safety. He has even come to visits on very little sleep and then he drives our son to his house. I have offered to bring him to him but he won't allow it.

bigmama423
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Oh I see.
Well just in case, make sure you document all that you can and bring up your safety concerns with your lawyer or a judge.

Quoting edhmom114:

he says he wants to be but fights about paying and since Cs and visitation are two separate issues I can't hold one against the other. He doesn't get why I make a big issue about his safety. He has even come to visits on very little sleep and then he drives our son to his house. I have offered to bring him to him but he won't allow it.

IdahoMommy217
by New Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM

My ex choose not to see the kids at all.

Bribriesmom
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:04 AM
That is the reason why I refuse to expose my daughter to a part-time or when it fits into his schedule father. It does more harm than good.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)