Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Differences in kitchens

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 13 Replies

Last night I went over to the guy I'm seeings apartment and was making supper for the two of us.  I couldn't help but laugh and notice the small differences between a his kitchen and my kitchen.  It made me wonder if this is fairly normal or just him lol.  I was making baked chicken chimichangas and luckily he'd told me before I came over that he doesn't have any baking pans so I could bring one of my extras. 

While I was cooking I realized he has no measuring spoons/tools of any kind (luckily I didn't really need any) nor did he have any hot pad holders.  When it was time to take supper out of the oven I asked him where they were and he laughed and said he didn't have any.  I asked him what I was suppose to do and he said go get a hand towel from the closet and use that as that was what he always did.  I just laughed and shook my head and told him I was going to bring him some of my extra measuring spoons and hot pad holders if I was going to keep cooking while there. 

What are some things you've noticed between a guys kitchen and your kitchen? 

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I think guys tend to have fewer pots and pans, fewer dishes and definitely fewer things like the measuring cups/spoons and hot pads as well as fewer spices and less food in the fridge.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Sounds typical to me
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:22 AM

SO just doesn't clean.  i don't know what his problem is but he doesn't clean- anything, ever.  it's gross.  somedays i feel like a damn maid.  no wait- everyday i feel a maid.  

he doesn't even put his dirty socks in the dirty clothes hamper.  i told him if he couldn't put his dirty clothes in the hamper i was gonna throw them away.  he still refuses.  he realized yesterday- he only has 1 pair of socks left.  yeah buddy- i threw them away! if as a grown man, you can't put dirty socks in the hamper, refuse to clean the kitchen, refuse to do laundry, leave dirty dishes all over the house and don't clean the bathroom....i'm not your damn maid! i'm not a housekeeper.  i'm not your short order cook.  if you can't have respet for my hard work all day- i can't have any respect for your crap! 

Tiredmom53
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:53 AM

When I dated my husband now his kitchen was as equiped as mine, he loves to cook and a great cook. 20 years of great marriage he still cooks dinner every night.

alexis_06
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:30 AM

lol, thats funny!  guys are so low key with that kind of stuff. 

Sister_Someone
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM

You sure you weren't at my home last night? 'Cause that sounds remarkably like my own kitchen, lol.

My guy has a better equipped kitchen than I would ever dream of owning, or want to own, but again, he can and likes to cook. I can't and don't. It's not something I care about, therefore the kitchen is not a room that gets any of my attention. I own the basic pots and pans, only one set of dishes and some mismatched ones, and I have absolutely no idea why I would need to own measuring spoons. I swear I literally just googled "hot pad holder" to see what the hell is that. If it's not a bare-basic, it has no place nor use in my kitchen. Now, my bar is a whole other ballpark. I like and know my alcohol, and I'm fairly certain some drinking establishments would envy my collection.

My guy likes cooking, has a fully stocked kitchen full of items I can't, nor do I care to, identify, let alone use. In our relationship, I'd definitely say he's the cook and I'm the bartender. 

deltathree
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Funny!

proudmother5946
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:06 PM
I was visiting my brother and went to bake a cake. His oven had no markings on the knobs. Burners or oven. It took 3 hours to bake the cake!
He never noticed because he doesn't really cook.
steviechick
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM

The only time a guy will have a great kitchen is when he's a chef, LOL!  Most men have the bare minimum when it comes to kitchen supplies.  Most don't cook that much and even bake.   My guy has the bare minimum in his kitchen.  A cookware set, microwave oven, and a coffee maker.  I've made him dinner a few times and brought my own cutting board, knives, and crock pot.  He had the other things in order to prepare the meal.  He also had hot pads, but they were severely outdated.  My kitchen comes equipped with everything as I cook and baked a lot when I was married.  The only thing I don't have is a blender and mixer.  I use the good old wooden spoon and mixing bowl when I bake.  Now my Keurig is much better then the S/O's coffee maker.  He's 'old school' when it comes to making coffee and calls my Keurig a 'froo-froo' machine.  I tell him I can drink hot tea and sip on various kinds of coffee with my Keurig whereas he's stuck drinking plain ole coffee.  Next up is a cappucino maker.  I think I'll buy him one just because!

Heath77
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM
That's funny.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN