Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

We all know how tight money can get...

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 29 Replies

What are some things you cut back on to save money when it's tight? I'm thankfully living with my parents while I look for work (interview on Tuesday!) so other than DDs life insurance bill, I don't have any other bills to worry about thankfully. Even so, I still struggle with money because I have no job. I don't get much in child support, so since DDs birth about a year ago, I've cut back on things. 

Instead of $10 hair products, I buy my hair stuff at Dollar Tree. Just basic shampoo, conditioner, and hairspray.

Ive always loved thrift stores, but now nearly everything I wear is from a thrift shop. 

I've stopped getting haircuts unless it's a treat from my mom. $8 is a lot when your baby needs formula!

No more pedicures =[

No more facials

No more Starbucks trips

As you can see, what I've cut back on/cut out were more luxury things that I enjoyed. I still endulge if I have a little extra cash on a small coffee from Starbucks, but other than that, I don't go anymore. What have you cut back on in tough times? Was the cut back easy to adjust to or difficult? 

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pristine729
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM
I stopped eating out every day... It was hard first bit now I don't even miss it.
RonaH
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Money is always tight here but I view it as fun to get around that little issue. haha At first it was so hard because I didnt know all the things I know now and i felt stifled.

I coupon and since its just the kid and I, I don't have to be crazy about it but it allows me to get mostly everything we need cheap and free and its things I like so its a win win. I sign up for emails to all the stores/resturaunts I like and they send coupons and that's when I will shop. For instance Wet Seal a store my daughter loves sent me a free shipping email. They were have a huge sale and I was able to come out with 2 dresses a skirt, pair of pants bra and 5 shirts  for $20 free shipping.

I follow some blogs so I never miss anything really good. We love starbucks too but i refuse to pay much to go there so I joined there club they give you a free drink of your choice on your B day(any size) and they will send you emails with freebies and deals all the time. Groupon just had a deal where you get a $10 Starbucks card for $5 the other day that I bought, they also had a $10 shell gas card for $6 I need gas so I figured Im not loosing im gaining. I make all my money work double time cause we like to go out.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I have always been a frugal person, I didn't make to many changes.  I cancelled my cable, we now have Hulu and Netflix. I get my hair done less, I bought clippers to give my boys haircuts instead of going to the barber. I don't do pedicures. I got a toenail fungus about five years ago and have not had a pedicure since!

mz23
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Im in thr same bout as yoi. Soo poor haha. I tried looking for q job had a few interviews but didnt get hired. So discouraged but need to get back out there. I go to class 2 days a week have to pay that, as well as gas, diapers. I have so much debt too : * im so depressed, combined with being a bit of a shopaholic, so buying things makes me geel good lol. I wanna go shopping so bad! ! I love thrift stores, that is my way of life now.
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I've also cut back.  No hair cuts and I'm doing my colors myself.  No pedicures.  And, I'm cutting out soda.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM

We have no cable and I recently cut the internet (this one was hard).

I use coupons and shop sales to ensure that there's always food and hygeine items in the house. I still use good shampoo, conditioner, and soap because it is often the same price or cheaper then the dollar store.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM

For clothes I always shop clearance racks

MandaMom23
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I've stopped going to starbucks, i shop more at Target instead of other stores, I use Amazon more often instead of burning gas for shopping trips and look for free shipping deals.

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:55 PM
use cloth diapers breastfeed buy clearance- often a better deal than thrift stores return anything not needed from the store sign up for all the baby clubs/kids clubs sell all outgrown/used items coupon ask for "needs" for birthdays/christmas have family birthday parties for kids no cable/internet no cell phones sometimes work from home as much as possible shop at farmers markets for fresh food you do what you gotta do.
apbpsp1
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:11 PM

We downgraded our TV package and got rid of one of our boxes, that saves $30 a month. Reduced our data amount on our cell phones. I started a coupon binder and if it's not on sale, we don't need it (I say that now lol!). We don't eat out but once a month. I use the app Favado to see sale ads for the week and compare prices between stores. I make our laundry soap! It's so easy, cheap, and really works! My father in law babysits so we don't have to pay for a sitter. I sell items we don't use on Craigslist and Facebook. I buy our clothes at resale shops. When I make dinner, I make enough so my husband takes leftovers so he doesn't have to buy his lunch. I do my own pedicures and manicures. No more Starbucks for me :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN