Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

We all know how tight money can get...

Posted by   + Show Post

What are some things you cut back on to save money when it's tight? I'm thankfully living with my parents while I look for work (interview on Tuesday!) so other than DDs life insurance bill, I don't have any other bills to worry about thankfully. Even so, I still struggle with money because I have no job. I don't get much in child support, so since DDs birth about a year ago, I've cut back on things. 

Instead of $10 hair products, I buy my hair stuff at Dollar Tree. Just basic shampoo, conditioner, and hairspray.

Ive always loved thrift stores, but now nearly everything I wear is from a thrift shop. 

I've stopped getting haircuts unless it's a treat from my mom. $8 is a lot when your baby needs formula!

No more pedicures =[

No more facials

No more Starbucks trips

As you can see, what I've cut back on/cut out were more luxury things that I enjoyed. I still endulge if I have a little extra cash on a small coffee from Starbucks, but other than that, I don't go anymore. What have you cut back on in tough times? Was the cut back easy to adjust to or difficult? 

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Replies (21-29):
Bun302
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Bunny ears tv and tuna cat food
SheciaBaby
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I'm cheap with myself. Not with my kids. I buy myself clothes once a year. I wear my hair up 99% of the time since I can't afford to do it and dont do it myself. If they dont eat food,I eat it because I dont like to waste food. I clip coupons... I always pixk up little things like nail polish for myself but I put it back.

Do u have a car ? I live in the house.my grandpa gave me. I pay lights,car note,car insurance,life insurance ,cellphone,dds dance,etc. Ugh. I can't imagine if I three rent in there ! Thank God I dont pay rent
mrsary
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Don't go to beautician.
Do own pedicures.
Cut my sons hair myself.
Shop only when needed.
Don't eat out.
Drive less to save on fuel costs.
Only hire a sitter when needed for work reasons.
mrsary
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Once a year? Try once every few years!! Lol. Only cause I wear uniform to work and outside of work am always with my kids. My old clothes are still new.

Quoting SheciaBaby:

I'm cheap with myself. Not with my kids. I buy myself clothes once a year. I wear my hair up 99% of the time since I can't afford to do it and dont do it myself. If they dont eat food,I eat it because I dont like to waste food. I clip coupons... I always pixk up little things like nail polish for myself but I put it back.

Do u have a car ? I live in the house.my grandpa gave me. I pay lights,car note,car insurance,life insurance ,cellphone,dds dance,etc. Ugh. I can't imagine if I three rent in there ! Thank God I dont pay rent

SheciaBaby
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Lol! I try to make myself. Once a year

Quoting mrsary:

Once a year? Try once every few years!! Lol. Only cause I wear uniform to work and outside of work am always with my kids. My old clothes are still new.

Quoting SheciaBaby:

Callaly
by Jessica on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I try to limit my tim hortons intake, I stopped getting my nails done professionally (:() I do my own hair now, I only buy make up on sale, I called my cell phone company and told them that I was going to switch to pay as you go cards and they gave me a really good deal, when buying food I buy everything on sale nothing full price, I go to many different stores for different sales.

katrina.0822
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Oh honey, I will pray for you. That was my life this time last year. Nothing nice, nothing special, nothing over 5 dollars. I hated it because growing up I was too spoiled (I now actually resent my parents for it) and always dated people who could 'provide' for me. I finally can provide for myself. However I needed t stop buying lunch at work. that was getting costly.

I couldn't live without my special conditioners and iced coffee. I just can't wait for my taxes to come in so DS and I can go shopping.

MomToNeeners
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I don't cut back because I've been frugal most of my life.

I get my hair stuff at wal-mart but I buy Suave and I love it.

I have a friend in cosmotology school so they cut my hair at a cheaper price, but also I have super short hair so I don't get it cut often.

I get my clothes from Plato's closet, used designer clothes. I used to spend $120 on jeans, now it's $60 and that's 3 to 4 pairs.

We buy some food items from Dollar Tree. I can buy $5 worth of frozen veggies and that lasts us 2 weeks. And fruit snacks. I love Black Forest gummy bears and they have fruit snacks made by that brand that are yummy!

We only go out once a week and it has to be $10 or less.

I buy Pnina fresh fruit for breakfast when it's on sale. I don't eat breakfast, but I'm not a breakfast person.

I buy the cat's litter at tractor supply for $3 a bag. It lasts us over a month.

I go to Aldi's for ground turkey since it's $1.70 a tube vs. $3

We don't have internet or cable. We go to the library since it's free and they actually have a better selection than Redbox when it comes to new movies.

I love love LOVE pedicures but since my car broke down I haven't been able to get one. I use a Mr. Pulmice bar on my feet everytime I take a shower. It keeps my feet super soft and looking fabulous since it's routine. I'm diabetic so I'm not supposed to get pedicures.

I'm not a fan of facials or starbucks.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM

The biggest thing that I cut back on is any credit card payments/student loan payments.  I always pay extra on both of those and budget to pay extra but on tight months I will just pay the minimum instead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)