Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

finding a roommate?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM
  • 24 Replies
I have a 4 bedroom apartment and am thinking about temporarily renting 2 of the rooms. It is just me and my daughter in the apartment. What have you ladies done to find roommates suitable to be around your children. Does anybody know of any websites that I can look at or post on
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauraash06
by Ashley on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM
I had a yr lease with a dear friend of mine. It was not fun..in fact it was stressful bc she doesn't have kidsand is a neat neat neat freak. As much as I love and value her friendship, I am so glad to have my own place.
libramoon007
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I wouldn't do it. Unless it is friends or family.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I did it with a friend and it was ok.

bigmama423
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I have no experience with this...I really don't think I could do that unless it was friends or family..and I'd still have a hard time with it.
Belinda685
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Wish you lived in Florida ! I am having the same need... Need the money and looking to rent out a room ! How to find a reliable room mate is a problem !
alexis_06
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM

wish you were here..i could use a roomate for my daughter and i as well!!

Mamavelt
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM

www.coabode.com is a website that helps connect single moms with one another for the purpose of living together and sharing expenses. They have profiles so you can get an idea of their family/philosophy.  I haven't done this myself, because between me and the kids there are already four of us (two who are teenagers), so adding anyone else would just be more crazy than I could handle. But I do think it is a really great idea which would let you be able to meet someone with similar lifestyle/priorities.  Good luck!

Heath77
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I personally found my renter on craigslist. I decided to put my ad up one day and if I found the right renter fine and if not I was taking it down after one day. Well I found the right renter. He doesn't smoke or drink. He passed criminal background check. He works as a dance teacher at a dance studio in my community. So he works with kids. He is almost the same age as me. I preferred a woman just because of my ex, but my renter has been a blessing. He moved here to take the job at the dance studio. I have already referred some married friends with daughters to the studio as I don't have any single moms that I know in my area. He has been wonderful. Hes fixed everything around my house that needed fixed. It was going to cost me over 500 to fix these things.this was my plumbing estimate. He cooks delicious dinners. Brings me lunch that he cooks since I work from home. He does that before he leaves for work and the gym sometimes. He leaves while I am working and gets home when my son and I are going to bed. I don't see him everyday. My son still sleeps with me and I have a lock on my bedroom door otherwise if my son slept in his own room I would not let anyone rent a room in my house. He is a ballerina so he travels to another city every other Saturday to practice for the nutcracker, which he will perform in. He will be gone over the Christmas break and spring break since the studio will be closed so its nice. He is just super nice and has a nice energy. He keeps to himself mostly when he is here, but he's cordial and polite. I really enjoy having him. He knows I am so stressed as a single mom and offered to babysit this last weekend so I could get some me time, but I had plans with my son and not sure I'm that comfortable, but I thought it was a kind gesture. Good luck and be super picky if you rent out a room. My roommate has his own bedroom and bathroom at front of my house and my bedroom has a bathroom at theback of  thehouse. He only uses kitchen and laundry room, which are by his room. Its works well as I he's rarely ever here. Good luck. I personally was looking for a working professional with no kids who would be gone a lot. I needed a non smoker and non drinker and someone who had no criminal history. 

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM
I hate roommates so I don't think I could do it but If it's necessary I'd look for another single mom
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SueSahara
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:34 PM
This is what I am worried about none of my friends except one has a child so I know that they wouldn't understand the sometime hectic chaos that comes with active children especially a15 month old and my one friend with the child has such a great apartment she isn't giving that up

Quoting lauraash06:

I had a yr lease with a dear friend of mine. It was not fun..in fact it was stressful bc she doesn't have kidsand is a neat neat neat freak. As much as I love and value her friendship, I am so glad to have my own place.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN