Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New friend during divorce..is it ok?

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have been separated for almost a year and should be divorced officially very soon. It has been a crazy process with my ex becoming abusive which was not the man I married at all.

I have a new guy friend that has been through a rough divorce  a few years ago and has been very helpful in helping me go through this process now. Its nice to have someone be able to relate to the craziness. He is a devout Christian which is something I adore..we can talk for hours on scripture and parenting. Then go totally left and spend hours laughing about Basketball wives lol.

He recently expressed interest in me as more than just a person to help me laugh on tough days. He is a really nice person and cracks me up..is it ok to see if theres something there.  I find myself very attracted to him mentally and physically. Maybe its just seeing that someone else is interested in me and wanting to feel attractive..who knows.. . I know I am not looking for anything deep I am still healing but is it ok to see what could be there on a more social level?  Be nice please ladies. 

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't see the issue.  You're no longer with your husband and this new man has been there as a great friend.  There are no rules in how long one must wait.  Enjoy!

peacelovemommy3
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Thanks Randi1978..I dont see the issue either but wanted to get some other thoughts .

Quoting randi1978:

I don't see the issue.  You're no longer with your husband and this new man has been there as a great friend.  There are no rules in how long one must wait.  Enjoy!

bigmama423
by Liz on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
^^I agree!! :)
woodstock525
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Ditto!

Misha1204
by LadyLiberty on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Yep, this!

Quoting randi1978:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Go for it!
Callaly
by Jessica on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Id say go for it.

As long as you go into it with a clear head knowing that its possible that it won't actually work out.. I don't think that there is anything wrong with it, there is no time frame when its appropriate to start dating after ending a relationship with someone else.. everyone is different and its no ones buisness :)

katrina.0822
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's wonderful to have a friend like that. Healing from a divorce is a long process and if you have a GOOD man who is patient and kind and caring and show the values you would want to see in your child there is no harm in hoping that eventually this could turn to more.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I think that if you are comfortable with it then that is all that matters. 

steviechick
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with everyone else - go for this guy.  It's hard to find a good man - a truly good man that has your heart and interests in mind.  I'm seeing someone now and we are going very slow.  I like it like that.  We are getting to know each other and so far we like spending time together.  You are headed towards the final chapter of your previous marriage - the divorce.  Your marriage is almost over.  It's just a matter of getting that paper that offically states it.  So many people told me to get my feet wet again and do it when I was ready to.  I did.  I met a nice guy.  I'm glad that I went with my gut instinct.  Heck, I was ready to for a new guy even when my ex was active duty.  My marriage was over long before it ended. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)