Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Single Mom? Any other appropriate terms?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi Ladies, 

My name is Sophia - I've been on the CafeMom site for a couple weeks and Its really nice to chat with other moms.  I appreciate the variety of the groups to join, simply read others' posts, and just see that I'm NOT THE ONLY ONE!.

Anyway, I am a single mom.  I kind of dislike the term "single mom" because my "village" is so supportive and I sometimes feel like I'm discounted their support.  What do you think?

Sophia0411

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomToNeeners
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Your "village"? I'm a single mom because I'm single and a mom. To each their own.

Sophia0411
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I was referring to that "...it takes a village..." mantra some people have used.  More specifically, I'm referring to my parents and my siblings.  Sometimes I feel like I'm taking the credit for the help that i get from them by calling myself a single mom.  But, you're righ too - I single because I'm single and I'm a mom.

Thanks for responding.  

Quoting MomToNeeners:

Your "village"? I'm a single mom because I'm single and a mom. To each their own.

Sophia0411

bluedeaj
by Deidre on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I know what you mean :)  But, there are still plenty of people in all aspects of this term.  Not just the, what you expect to see, does that make sense?  I have a crazy amount of support from family and friends, and recently divorced with one kid.  I'm also still on good terms with my ex husband.  And we are currently coparenting (even though this is new) with no major issues.  There aren't many people with that, but there are a few.  And I am a single mother, in the sense that I am single, and a mom.  So I just stick with that :)  Just like my now ex husband is a single dad, with his child not living with him majority of the time.

Sophia0411
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Thanks bluedeaj - 

I see your perspective too.  

Thanks

Quoting bluedeaj:

I know what you mean :)  But, there are still plenty of people in all aspects of this term.  Not just the, what you expect to see, does that make sense?  I have a crazy amount of support from family and friends, and recently divorced with one kid.  I'm also still on good terms with my ex husband.  And we are currently coparenting (even though this is new) with no major issues.  There aren't many people with that, but there are a few.  And I am a single mother, in the sense that I am single, and a mom.  So I just stick with that :)  Just like my now ex husband is a single dad, with his child not living with him majority of the time.

Sophia0411

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM
2 moms liked this

no. i think a single mom is a mom who is not married or with her childs father. i dont think it has anything to do with having a support network.

but, welcome!

alexis_06
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

exactly!!

Quoting faerie75:

no. i think a single mom is a mom who is not married or with her childs father. i dont think it has anything to do with having a support network.

but, welcome!

alexis_06
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

i'm a single mom, always have been...my mom and dad help me out TONS! and i appreciate it..but,  i dont think that takes the term of being a single mom away...just because someone has a great support system shouldn't affect the "single mom" status..

Sophia0411
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks. I agree.

Quoting alexis_06:

i'm a single mom, always have been...my mom and dad help me out TONS! and i appreciate it..but,  i dont think that takes the term of being a single mom away...just because someone has a great support system shouldn't affect the "single mom" status..

katrina.0822
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I'm a mother who is not single but I am not with my sons father. I have a wonderful boyfriend who helps me raise our son (my son calls him daddy, know his real name but prefers to call him daddy) I guess technically I'm a 'single mom' because I am not with my sons bio-dad but I'm not single. My boyfriend hates when I say single mom because he says "you're not doing this alone."

I'm a dating mom? :P

lnrmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are single, and you're a mom you are a single mom.

Just because you are married doesn't mean you don't have a "village" so to speak, just means you're married and a mom.

But I get what you're saying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)