Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Unemployed

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:48 AM
  • 8 Replies

These past few months have been hectic.  I've always held a steady job, and last year when I was laid off I thought it would be easy to take a little time off and spend the summer with my son.  Now I'm stuck and can't find a job.  I've applied for a few positions and the wait time is horrible.  If I would've known it would take this long I would've started looking immediately after I got laid off. I'm bummed because I've taken about 4 clerical exams and this most recent one which I was looking forward to I missed by one point. I was over confident since I had taken 3 tests at other locations prior to this one and passed easily.  Oh well let the waiting continue.  I never knew so many steps were needed to apply for one position. It feels nice to vent.  But this mom needs to get her act together and get a job asap.

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Hang in there mama. Good luck.

dawncs
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you thought of babysitting as another option to look for jobs? I recommend http://www.sittercity.com/ and http://www.care.com/. I am not doing this as an advertisement but to help you with two more places to search.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

woodstock525
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Just a couple of suggestions...you may want to take a look and apply at a temp agency.  After a length of time with many of them, you can get benefits.  And, many companys only hire from folks they get in from the temp agencies.  That's how my sister landed a great job a few years back.

Another suggestion, consider applying at a local school system ...again many times they do temp to permanent hires.  Check the local college/community college/university for positions as well.  They hire year round.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM
I hope you find something soon
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Have you checked into temp agencies? That was the best way I found somewhat steady work
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fjoseph83
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM
I know the feeling found out in September I was pregnant I notified my employer and they totally flipped script on me my co workers where angry with me felt like they where gonna have to pick up my slack as they stated and telling me its not my fault you got pregnant why should I have to help you on top of that my employer was less then willing to let me transfer positions or hours while pregnant I worked in a animal shelter with sick and feral cats I finally just decided to quit the stress out weighed the benefits now im pregnant unemployed and now looks like I will be going through my pregnancy alone talk about stressed out
alexis_06
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM

have you thought about just getting a job during christmas?? i know alot of places are hiring seasonal right now..may not be "the best" job..but it's something..

Laura3188
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Im currently unemployed as well I can relate everything is online and they give you test for everything before you even get an interview its frustrating so im looking into alternative rt routes
I have a friend who is a successful SAHM who also has her own business is getting out of debt saving enough money to provide for her kids future & able to spend time with them without having to worry about taking time off so I figured why not take a chance to become successful as well what do I have to loose while not working. If you'd like to join me or want more info please on box me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)