Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Pros and cons of Attorneys

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM
  • 16 Replies
Do you use an attorney or are you representing yourself? Pros? Cons?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OCALAMOMOFTWINS
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Always use an attorney!!! They know the law, you probably don't unless you are one yourself. Besides, divorce and custody battles are stressful. A lawyer will think of things that you might not and save you from making a mistake that you will regret later.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Always have an atty.

mollymae09
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM
I've finally got one. And it's a huge relief to know that when we go to court, I won't have to go up against douchebag alone.

If you can't afford one, check to see if there's a volunteer attorney program in your area. Fabulous program! I paid $35 for a filing fee, and my attorney is completely free!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Nov. 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I am so glad I have an attorney yes it's money but so worth knowing that I'm not missing anything important

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Nov. 16, 2013 at 11:22 AM

YMCA's sometimes have legal help too!

Quoting mollymae09:

I've finally got one. And it's a huge relief to know that when we go to court, I won't have to go up against douchebag alone.

If you can't afford one, check to see if there's a volunteer attorney program in your area. Fabulous program! I paid $35 for a filing fee, and my attorney is completely free!

CafeMom Tickers

Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Me and my ex are civil so we used a mediator. I cannot say that all attorneys are helpful and many do not have the kids best interest at all. There are a lot of slimeballs in family court. custody battles only benefit the attorney and you are helping putting his/her kids through college. I wish parents would try to settle and mediate before running to an attorney which many do. Sometimes an attorney is absolutely needed, many times its not. Some people hire an attorney becasue what they want is unreasonable so they think the they have a better chance of getting it with an attorney and sadly many times they are right.

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't go to court without an attorney. My ex and I have never gone to court.
woodstock525
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never go to court without an attorney, especially for anything relating to child custody or visitation.  There is just too much at risk.

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Nov. 17, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I did my divorce on my own, with the use of the family court assistance office. I did consult with an atty, but ours was pretty straight forward and we don't even follow what was filed 10+ years ago now. :) But if your divorce and custody battle is going to be tough I always recommend hiring one.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this

If I had an attorney I would be divorced by now. I do have full custody of my boys and child support... and patience until my divorce is final.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)