Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How are you mamas affording christmas this year?

Posted by   + Show Post
I was just curious..I'm a single mom to 2 sets of twins(boys age 4 & boy/girl age 2 in dec.) & I've been buying one item per paycheck for awhile now.my kids aren't getting a lot,but its not all about that..i was just wondering how you all were doing it..
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
Frances0923
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I'm shopping with this weeks paycheck. I usually just save an entire weeks check and purchase everything at once. I only have one child (thank god) lol but this year I need to buy for my BF and his mom and little sis Geezzeee. My family all lives out of state and we don't really send eachother gifts 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I buy throughout the year. I am also working lots of ot.
deltathree
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Lookiing for deals, little by little, doing what I can....

bigmama423
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I think I'll be using a credit card, then paying it off at income time... :/

Mama_Gillogley
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:45 PM

my son is only 3, and thankfully this year I got my certified nursing assistant license and a decent job. i have also been putting $45 away per paycheck in a savings account. it won't be a huge christmas, but all he really wants is a play tool set, and he really needs pajamas! saving up or buying one item per paycheck is the best way to go when you are the sole provider for your child/children. :)

Mama_Gillogley
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:48 PM

i was a full time college student for 3 years, it's worth the small Christmases and birthdays and the stigma of not having a job. keep your head up and your nose in the books, it will pay off someday. :) Go you!

Quoting happymommy82:

I don't have income and as a full time student and the way schedules are can't work except on the weekends which isn't worth it. I pick up little things when I can, but hsve had to sign up for adopt a family this year. Last year through my school I did a toys for tots. Ince school is over I will be making sure to set aside savings, but for now this is kinda what I have to do.

Not my ideal way to do it, but my girls are still relatively young.

happymommy82
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for the encouragement! There have been times I wondered if it was worth it, but I stuck to it telling myself it's all worth the end results.

Quoting Mama_Gillogley:

i was a full time college student for 3 years, it's worth the small Christmases and birthdays and the stigma of not having a job. keep your head up and your nose in the books, it will pay off someday. :) Go you!

Quoting happymommy82:

I don't have income and as a full time student and the way schedules are can't work except on the weekends which isn't worth it. I pick up little things when I can, but hsve had to sign up for adopt a family this year. Last year through my school I did a toys for tots. Ince school is over I will be making sure to set aside savings, but for now this is kinda what I have to do.

Not my ideal way to do it, but my girls are still relatively young.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Nov. 26, 2013 at 8:27 AM
I've been working two jobs. I have been able to buy gifts with my extra paycheck. I have been holding out with buying the Beats (super expensive headphones) for my oldest son hoping they will be on sale somewhere for Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
Callaly
by Jessica on Nov. 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I have been planning each paycheck what I have to buy and for who.. since the start of November. I also do not go crazy during the holidays because gifts are an extra not all what its about.

So My daughter gets 3 gifts from me; 1 gift you want, 1 gift you need, and 1 gift you learn from.

Its also her birthday on December 11th and I go all out for birthdays.

zumbanerd
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I've gotten the blessing from my DD that because we are going away for vacation in the spring that I don't have to buy presents for her. I already bought tickets to Disney on Ice for us to go to and that just leaves Santa's gifts. I only have one DD so it's easier to buy the gifts. I use a spreadsheet and I keep track of the prices of the items. I'm thinking about doing the Black Friday crazy run, but now I'm not sure if I really need to do so. A lot of the toys are getting less expensive the more I watch them (except for furby zoom, but Toys R Us at 1 am Friday has it for $30 so I still may do it). My co-parent also has the spreadsheet and we worked out who is getting what for her. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN