Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How do I do this? (TMI?)

MysticLove
Loving my new Crock-Pot!
Sunday at 7:56 PM
Posted by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:13 AM
  • 15 Replies

Last week my middle DS woke up at 4am throwing up more than I had ever seen a kid do before so I had to call out of work that day because my daycare and my back up babysitter refuse to watch kids with Flu symptoms, not that I blame them because I wouldn't either for someone else's kid. He was sick till Friday night. That night my oldest DS started doing it and the next morning, so did I. Well, now all the kids are well, but I am still sick with certain symptoms that have me in the bathroom most of the day. I am a receptionist at my job and the only one on my floor of the building. Logically I can't go into work and spend most of the work day in the bathroom, but on the other hand, this is only my 3rd week as an employee! I have now called out 3 straight days and it looks like I wont be in tomorrow or Wednesday either. How do single moms work like this?!

*Update*

I talked to my boss this morning who told me that after this long I need a DR note to come back. I go to the DR and she said I can't go back before Monday because my blood pressure was too low and I was dehydrated. My boss says thats fine and she will see me Monday!

by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamavelt
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 5:02 AM
Since you are so new in your position, and such a vital presence, I think you are seriously jeopardizing your job. Think about it. You've been there three weeks, and you've been out/anticipate being out almost a week?

I personally only take sick days off when my kids are ill. I have gone to the office w fever, stomach flu, etc. I am the only source of income and we have no safety net, so I do not have a choice. Honestly I would go in in a body bag. If you are too sick, they will send you home, but will at least know it is genuine and that you tried.

For your tummy trouble: trynot to eat, or if you do, only mild, binding foods like banana, white rice or crackers. For diarrhea try Imodium ad. Vomiting? Dont take in any ammunition. Make sure you have a wastebasket next to your desk. And take a rtoothbrush/breath mints for after.

Hopefully you will feel better soon.
Saurusmom8
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM
I understand this! My son got sick my second week of a new job. That's the frustrating part of being a single mom.

You can't go in sick. You are obviously aware of what an employer expects and so you won't get that preaching from me because its hard to be home sick when you have worries about your job.

There is nothing you can do except get better and focus on your kids getting better. Kids get sick and families with children should expect more inconveniences along the way.

I recover, I go back to work and let the chips fall where they may. Usually it works out and I am there to help when other employees fall victim of the same scenerio.
Saurusmom8
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM
I was out with the flu 2. Weeks ago because a co-worker came to work sick. Its a choice people make but I prefer not to share my sicknesses. I work with people and the terminally ill/vulnerable adults so if some of them get sick it can get fatal.

mamalena137
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM

If you're lucky you have a job that works with you. I was working at my job almost a year before I had my son. My boss is really "family first" so it's never been an issue of taking time off for my son. Also he's one that if you're sick, he will send you home depending on what you have. He doesn't want everyone else to catch what you have. I feel really bad that this happened to you at a new job. I hope it gets better and things work out.

hnye77
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

You should ask your employer what they prefer so they know that you are serious about the new position.  Let's be honest, they don't know you and you don't know them yet sooooo.... call your boss and explain the situation.  Ask what would be most beneficial to them.  If you are the only one on your floor, maybe contamination risk is low but conversly, your production would suck.. Any reasonable employer would instruct you to stay home, get well and come in fresh. 

amber3902
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM

This.  I know it would also help your case if you brought in doctor's notes for yourself or your kids.  That would also help so it doesn't look so bad.  If you go to an urgent care facility they usually aren't that expensive and may prescribe you something to help you get better faster.

Quoting hnye77:

You should ask your employer what they prefer so they know that you are serious about the new position.  Let's be honest, they don't know you and you don't know them yet sooooo.... call your boss and explain the situation.  Ask what would be most beneficial to them.  If you are the only one on your floor, maybe contamination risk is low but conversly, your production would suck.. Any reasonable employer would instruct you to stay home, get well and come in fresh. 

MysticLove
Loving my new Crock-Pot!
Sunday at 7:56 PM
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I am not the only person on my floor. I am the only receptionist on my floor. The reason I feel I can't go is because I am having urgent frequent needs to use the restroom and we are not under and circumstances allowed to leave the desk un-manned.

Quoting hnye77:

steviechick
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Well, you have two options - go in and try and explain to your boss how sick you are or stay home until you are well enough to report to work.  Since you are worried about losing your job due to illness and being gone from work then go in and try and stay as long as you can.  You can only do so much when you are sick.  I would think if the boss sees you in the bathroom a lot he/she will send you home.  At least your boss knows you aren't playing sick and are actually sick. 

Stephd710
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I would call and ask your boss what they want you to do.  I know my boss wants us GONE if we are sick with anything from flu to colds so we dont spread it around to the other workers.  

TXHulaMama
by Ashli on Nov. 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I'm new at my job as well. My DD got sick my 2nd or 3rd week of work. I'm lucky that my mom helps me so much. She lives 3 hours away but drove down to take care of her for me until she was well enough to go back to daycare. I did end up taking almost a whole day off though so I could take her to the doctor and get her medicine. My mom would have done that as well, but since I was the one home with her over the weekend it was easier for me to describe her symptoms than my mom trying to remember them all.

I'm also really lucky that my boss is so family oriented. He has adopted his wife's DD from a previous relationship and they have a DS a few months younger than my daughter. His wife is a nurse so he's completely understanding about health issues with children, both from hearing his wife's stories and being the main caregiver for thier kids when she is doing 12 hour shifts for days on end.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)