Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeless

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM
  • 7 Replies
I'm pretty scared abt going 2 a shelter. So I'm gonna try 2 put my foot down and try emergacy houseing cuz I can't take it living with my ex at his moms house and I really shouldn't have moved in the first place cuz she never wanted an unwed couple in her house living 2gether it was a hard dession cuz my mother and I always fault non stop when she was home and I hated that I was nocked down all the time in front of my son. So I feel like its time for me 2 try and get some help. Do u think this is wrong 2 do try get emergcy housing?
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JenneferR0621
by New Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello, I wish you all the best, sometimes we need to make some difficult decisions to make better ones in the future, take this as a lesson when you learn from your not so good moments in life, the future should only hold better ones. Take this as a stepping stone to better yourself, asking for help is nothing to be ashamed of, it just means that you need a bump to improve, it happens to all of us at some-point. My best advice to you is, make something of yourself, take every moment and absorbs it, you are the only one that can help your self for the sake of your kids and better tomorrow. Hope this helps :-) Good Luck 

austenheroine
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM
3 moms liked this

Please check in to the local Salvation Army in your community. They have safe and lovely places to stay, plus counselors and social workers who can help you get connected to the resources you need to get your feet back under you again.

I know this is a difficult time of year to make this type of decision, with the holidays.

We happen to live with my mother, because I could not afford costs associated with health insurance and my child's schooling (long story) AND rent. I made a tough decision to put all of my things in storage so that my child could attend a great school and so that I could afford health insurance. It has been a very tough 14 months to be "homeless" while I get myself together financially, but it was the best thing I could have done, and I wouldn't second guess my decision.

If you are doing something for your child's benefit, don't second guess it. You are the mom, and you know what you both need. Do what is best, even if it's difficult, and God in Heaven will guide your next steps if you ask. I hope this helps! Will keep you in prayer.

super123momma
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank u so much had no clue the salvaion army did that much besides sell used things

Quoting austenheroine:

Please check in to the local Salvation Army in your community. They have safe and lovely places to stay, plus counselors and social workers who can help you get connected to the resources you need to get your feet back under you again.

I know this is a difficult time of year to make this type of decision, with the holidays.

We happen to live with my mother, because I could not afford costs associated with health insurance and my child's schooling (long story) AND rent. I made a tough decision to put all of my things in storage so that my child could attend a great school and so that I could afford health insurance. It has been a very tough 14 months to be "homeless" while I get myself together financially, but it was the best thing I could have done, and I wouldn't second guess my decision.

If you are doing something for your child's benefit, don't second guess it. You are the mom, and you know what you both need. Do what is best, even if it's difficult, and God in Heaven will guide your next steps if you ask. I hope this helps! Will keep you in prayer.

Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Yes, try the Salvation Army.
You don't need to be where you are now.

Quoting austenheroine:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
super123momma
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Another question I thought social workers were for like dss kids or really messed up people idk I never really understood what they are and do I go 2 the courts 2 get 1 and wood they try 2 put dcf in our lifes like for no reason idk I'm scared shitless of dcf I wouldn't be able 2 deal with people telling me what I can and can't do with my child I would deffently have more then enuf volchers 4 me that I'm a good mom I'm not perfect but I keep my son happy.

Quoting austenheroine:

austenheroine
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

My parents were Salvation Army officers (pastors), and I grew up around the shelters, etc. It was like my second home, because we were always around where my parents were working.

The social workers at the Salvation Army are there to be your helpers, not your judges. They are trained to help women and children. The shelters are usually divided between those for women and children and those for men, so you won't have to worry about being in a shelter with strange men around. It's very safe.

The case workers will help you find resources and get you connected with programs that can help you get back on your feet. The Salvation Army officers are also available for counseling. Now the only caveat is that this month is super busy because it's "Christmas kettle" season. So if you go and if everyone seems abrupt or rushed, don't take it personally. They should be very kind, but if you are met with impoliteness, it may be due to the pressure they are currently under for fundraising to keep these programs open.

It is probably too late to sign up for Christmas presents at the Army, but they also do provide toys for children in need.

If you have more questions, feel free to send me a private message here. I don't know what area of the country you are in, but I do know the Northeast pretty well and have friends who are now officers scattered around the country. Feel free to hit me with questions, etc.

Many hugs and prayers!

Quoting super123momma: Another question I thought social workers were for like dss kids or really messed up people idk I never really understood what they are and do I go 2 the courts 2 get 1 and wood they try 2 put dcf in our lifes like for no reason idk I'm scared shitless of dcf I wouldn't be able 2 deal with people telling me what I can and can't do with my child I would deffently have more then enuf volchers 4 me that I'm a good mom I'm not perfect but I keep my son happy.

Quoting austenheroine:

superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Sending you some HUGS !!! Keep your head up !!!! But do what's BEST for you and your child !!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)