Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Meeting BF's Mother for the first time!

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:10 AM
  • 10 Replies
Hello mommies, well basically I've been dating this guy. Things are getting pretty serious, he has met my daughter and my family. And now it's my turn to meet his....and from what I heard his mother is pretty tough. This is my first time ever dating ever since I had my daughter. He does not have any kids. He has not told her anything about me because she wanted to meet me in person and be the judge. Anyway, my question is would it be better for him to tell his mother that I'm a mother too or should I tell her myself and how? Need your advice!
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toughmommy
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:19 AM
I think he should have told his mom already and you should not have to feel like you have to hide that aspect of you at all. Either way he seems to like you and enough to introduce you, that's the important part... so be proud of everything that you are,if your really nervous about it, I would discuss it with him before hand so it doesn't come up in some awkward way. Good Luck!
Saurusmom8
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:15 AM
No shame that you are a mommy!! How he reacts if she demeans you is crucial. Just tell her and be proud. I would bring pictures of your beautiful child and share stories of motherhood!! If you being a single mom puts you on some chopping block then that's her problem. He obviously likes you and chances are the beautiful mom in you is what makes you more beautiful to him.

If I knew then what I know now I would have focused less on her opinion and more on the good and how much I loved her son. It really showed me how I don't want to be that mom when my son brings home a woman he is proud of.

I am confident she will like you. I hope she has a good sense to know that being a single mom isn't some hex or curse.. its a circumstance.
superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Wow thats a toughy !!!!... it would have been great for him to tell his mom about you and your lil one sooo it wont be such a shock... Moms can be tough especially if they are really close to thier sons !!!... and they can be your Best friend or your WORST nightmare !!!!.... at the end of the day JUST BE YOU !!! and dont be ashamed that you a single mom at yall !!! if she ask or if you feel comfortable talk  about your daughter and how proud you are !!!... I hope everything goes well... come back and give us details !!!

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:42 PM

I agree, it's something he should have mentioned to her and that it's something you should never have to hide or be ashamed of.

Good luck!

MikaKay
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Thanks for the advices ladies! I def feel much better about this! You guys are absolutely right, I should focus on just being myself than worrying about if she'll like me or not. I'm not ashamed or trying to hide about it. I just simply want to do this right!
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I remember when I met the ex's mom for the first time.  I was nervous.  My ex told her about me.  Just the basics really. Nothing is best then actually meeting face to face the first time.  The anxiety of that first meeting is nerve racking.  Don't be surprised if she's a little nervous.  As far as being a hard judge on her son's girlfriend.  Just be yourself.  She will like you as much as her son does. 

cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I wouldn't hide the fact because it will come out eventually. Being a mom is a big part of who you are and nothing to be embarassed about. Yes, he should have told his mom but it sounds like he hasn't told her anything about you.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:02 AM
You are mom first don't hide it be proud of it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Callaly
by Jessica on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I think that he should let her know prior to meeting you.

I know that when I met SO's mom for the first time, he introduced us and then went on to say that I was a single mom, but he did that because that would be mine and her's interest part (she was a single mom, with 2 boys and 2 different dads)

Chelsea_rh
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Hopefully she wont be too judgemental. I hope everything goes well. Assuming your family liked him?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)