Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

baby poop problem

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM
  • 26 Replies
My daughter is 5 months old. she hasnt had a good poop since she started soy.. Now shes on foods..ive tried baby prune juice..baby apple prune juice..then just apple juice.. Nothing is helping. i want to stay away from medication, what types a natural foods will help her
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TXHulaMama
by Ashli on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I read somewhere that foods that begin with the letter P are good.

A couple trick my DD's pedi's office told me when my daughter was little are:

• Lay her flat and alternate massaging her tummy and moving her legs back & forth.
  • Try giving her a little water.
  • Put some vasoline on the end of a thermometer and place it in the rectum. Not far, just inside. They warned to have a towel under her because they almost always poop right away. However, this is not something that should be done all the time as then their bodies will rely on it.

Have you tried other formulas?

snowhitchic
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM
Thank you. i have tried everything but the water. ill give it a shot. Yeah soy was the 8th formula i tried.

Quoting TXHulaMama:

I read somewhere that foods that begin with the letter P are good.

A couple trick my DD's pedi's office told me when my daughter was little are:

• Lay her flat and alternate massaging her tummy and moving her legs back & forth.

• Try giving her a little water.

• Put some vasoline on the end of a thermometer and place it in the rectum. Not far, just inside. They warned to have a towel under her because they almost always poop right away. However, this is not something that should be done all the time as then their bodies will rely on it.

Have you tried other formulas?

TXHulaMama
by Ashli on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM

You're welcome. Sounds like you have gone through all of them. My daughter ended up on Enfamil Nutramigen. She had acid reflux bad.

DD still has issues sometimes, but it runs in the family. Another thing that helps my daughter is a little Maalox. We found out when giving it to her for her reflux that it helped with her pooping too, but your daughter may be too young for that. So you'd want to ask her pedi first on that one.

Hope she has some relief soon.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM

What are you feeding her? If you are doing baby oatmeal you might want to switch to rice. Oatmeal is a good thing to eat to clog you up.

DDDaysh
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Have you tried rectal stimulation?  

snowhitchic
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Yes

Quoting DDDaysh:

Have you tried rectal stimulation?  

snowhitchic
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:08 PM
I was having her on rice than oatmeal. ive tried her on zucchini too but i heard pears might work so i might try that. shes also on apple prune juice, and plain apple juice.

Quoting krisnkids:

What are you feeding her? If you are doing baby oatmeal you might want to switch to rice. Oatmeal is a good thing to eat to clog you up.

DDDaysh
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:11 PM

A little dark corn syrup can also help, like the Kero syrup.  

MomToNeeners
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Honestly, you should go to her doctor first. If her doctor thinks theres a problem then I would explore options. That's my opinion though but I don't know if you have done that already. Apples are natures laxetive.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:14 PM

She is only 5 months old and you are feeding her all of this stuff? I would suggest going back to basics, formula, rice cereal and make and appointment with her pediatrician. Corn syrup for a 5 month old? Most peds don't even recommend baby food until 6 months now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)