Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

What's the meanest thing anyone has ever said to you about being a single mom?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:07 PM
  • 67 Replies

Mobile Photo

I have heard a lot of mean things about single moms. For instance when I was nine months pregnant and STILL working my waitressing job I have heard things like, "You need a man to take care of you.", "I bet you're on all sorts of government assistance.", "If the father of your child left you when you were pregnant then why didn't you just have an abortion?", "Great, another bastard child that I will have to pay for with my taxes." Those are some of the meanest things people have ever said to me. Oh and here is one that my mother said to me the day after I have birth to my second daughter (which my parents weren't there for) and she needed to stay in the NICU for three days, "I just knew this was going to happen, I figured you would have another baby with health problems." My first daughter was born with half a heart (needing several open heart surgeries and other minor procedures) and my second was born with laryngomalacia making it slighty difficult to breath. Yea, sure, I might fall down and need assistance to help me get back up on my feet right now, but no I am not on "All sorts of government assistance" I am on WIC, but I have been working a job since I was 17 years old and I have been paying taxes since then too. What is the meanest, rudest, nastiest thing anybody has ever said to you about being a single mother?
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this
One of the moms at school told me once she didn't know who my son's mom was since I'm never around. Our kids are in karate together too. So I told her I had no idea she was her son's mom either since she only drops her kid off at the dojo door and I stay.
Singlemama52
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM
I think the meanest, was from my sons stepmom. She told me I shouldn't of had a child with someone not willing to marry me.. which is such a strange thing to say.. She wasn't married to her kids dad, but she's nothing to me since she doesn't have custody of her two kids and is going to prison soon but I couldn't believe she had the nerve to tell me that while I am the one taking care of my child every single day, who cares if we weren't married. Lol.
bluedeaj
by Deidre on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:15 PM
3 moms liked this

aww, I'm so sorry ladies!  Such mean things to say :(

I haven't had anything real mean said to me thankfully.  I was married when my daughter was born though and recently divorced, she's 5yrs old.  So different circumstances.  What I've gotten now though are "are you sure it was best to leave?  You can probably go back if you want." um... no I don't want.  I divorced for a reason.

rfhsure
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:16 PM
2 moms liked this
Nothing to my face. I've been very fortunate to have very supportive family and friends.
tlrafferty
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Recently I had a co-worker say something about him working two jobs to pay for the "assistance" I'm on. I wanted to deck him. I looked at him and said, "Really?"Thats your excuse?"I dont let people's opinions bother me, they're the ones that have to live with their karma.

HeatherMarieT88
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Um... What a dumb bitch. I would've told her "He seemed like he wanted to marry me when we were making our child." Even if it wasn't true just to piss her off.

Quoting Singlemama52: I think the meanest, was from my sons stepmom. She told me I shouldn't of had a child with someone not willing to marry me.. which is such a strange thing to say.. She wasn't married to her kids dad, but she's nothing to me since she doesn't have custody of her two kids and is going to prison soon but I couldn't believe she had the nerve to tell me that while I am the one taking care of my child every single day, who cares if we weren't married. Lol.
Singlemama52
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry, it accidently sent lol. She hates me cause we have a baby and she was dumb and got her tubes tied before she met my sons dad and now she can't have his baby, and they can't afford a reversal. Lol.

Quoting HeatherMarieT88: Um... What a dumb bitch. I would've told her "He seemed like he wanted to marry me when we were making our child." Even if it wasn't true just to piss her off.

Quoting Singlemama52: I think the meanest, was from my sons stepmom. She told me I shouldn't of had a child with someone not willing to marry me.. which is such a strange thing to say.. She wasn't married to her kids dad, but she's nothing to me since she doesn't have custody of her two kids and is going to prison soon but I couldn't believe she had the nerve to tell me that while I am the one taking care of my child every single day, who cares if we weren't married. Lol.
HeatherMarieT88
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:23 PM
Bump
SwitchbladeMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Nothing at all.

HeatherMarieT88
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM
It seems to me that getting her tubes tied was probably the smartest thing she ever did, seeing as she doesn't have custody of her own kids, is about to go to prison and acts like a jealous child because she made a decision she obviously didn't think through beforehand. I understand jealousy, but to say hurtful things to someone because you're jealous is just plain childish.

Quoting Singlemama52: Sorry, it accidently sent lol. She hates me cause we have a baby and she was dumb and got her tubes tied before she met my sons dad and now she can't have his baby, and they can't afford a reversal. Lol.

Quoting HeatherMarieT88: Um... What a dumb bitch. I would've told her "He seemed like he wanted to marry me when we were making our child." Even if it wasn't true just to piss her off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)