Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Wisdom tooth removal experiences wanted!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:42 AM
  • 7 Replies

I made an appointment with an oral surgeon for tomorrow at one for a consultation, and I'm just scared. I've heard so much...from getting general anesthesia, to just local, and everywhere in between, from having it done in their office right then and there to being at the hospital for it. My dentist recommended that I get all four removed. My bottom left is completely horizontal, my bottom right is like the picture shown (not my xray), and the top two I don't know.

Did you get all of them removed? 

Did you get sedated? If so, what kind? Do you remember anything?

Did they do it in their office or outpatient surgery center/hospital? 

What did you eat after?

How did you feel the next day?

by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bluedeaj
by Deidre on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:52 AM

I got all of mine removed at the same time when I went (this is what I suggest, so that you don't go multiple times).  I was put under, which I asked for.  I freak out about needles and anything to do with my mouth so it was the best decision for me to just be completely unaware of what was happening.  I went to an oral surgeon and had it done at their office, they are setup for that kind of thing :)  Went to my consult, talked about everything etc etc (like my request to be put under, recovery) and then we setup my surgery date.  Which was I think the next day lol, or the day after.  I was able to go home after the surgery, just needed someone to drive me and that was my mom :)

I honestly don't remember a whole lot for the 2-3 days following my surgery, I got pretty spoiled.  I was staying with my mom on a short vacay when I had it done so she took care of my kiddo (2yrs old at the time) while I slept, and slept and slept.  I don't remember what I ate but it was probably just drinks and yogurt, pudding, etc.  I had a mouth full of gauze for at least the first day so...

When I started being coherent again (lol, from the anestesia) I felt fine.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I have mine removed at different times.

In the dental office, not sedated, tolerable pain afterwards and also I was not completely numb when one was being pulled out and tears rolled but than it was ok afterwards.

TurtleMami
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:46 AM

I got two removed. The first one tickled. My dentisg though she was hurting me but I was just laughing. The second was a bitch though. They had to keep giving me anesthesia and had to call in the senior dentist from his house.

rfhsure
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:49 AM
I had all four removed. I went under for it. I felt like shit and was in a lot of pain for about 4 days, then I was okay.
Ridingsolo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 5:40 AM

I had all four removed at the same time.  Really is better to get them all done at once, as long as you have a good dr.

I did it outpatient in the office, with some sort of sedation where I was pretty much asleep for the procedure. 

The recovery was quick, and I didn't even need the pain meds they gave me.

Just make sure you only eat the food they say is okay.  I started eating solids too quickly after, and as a result solid food ended up under the gum that had healed.  I had to go back to get it cut out and stitched up again.  :( 

brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:25 AM

I decided to get the IV sedation, which I assume is what you got? I booked it for Monday at 11am. Dd is going to the sitters and my mom is staying with me. He seems like a wonderful (and handsome!) doctor. My top two are really close to my sinus cavity so I may have a hole between the row for a while. The bottom two are impacted, the left sitting partially in bone, the right is close to the nerve. 

Quoting Ridingsolo:

I had all four removed at the same time.  Really is better to get them all done at once, as long as you have a good dr.

I did it outpatient in the office, with some sort of sedation where I was pretty much asleep for the procedure. 

The recovery was quick, and I didn't even need the pain meds they gave me.

Just make sure you only eat the food they say is okay.  I started eating solids too quickly after, and as a result solid food ended up under the gum that had healed.  I had to go back to get it cut out and stitched up again.  :( 

Sydney267
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:02 AM

My top ones never came in. I did have both of my bottom ones removed though, at different appointments.I wasn't  put under or anything just had Novocaine. My face swelled up and I looked like a freak. They gave me Vicodin but it still really hurt. The other one same thing but all they gave me was Motrin after and it wasn't as bad and barely swelled. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN