Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Im starting to feel discouraged !!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:40 AM
  • 46 Replies
I've been on a on job the hunt for a while now in Atlanta !!!!.... I don't know what to do anymore !!! I've been praying and hoping and putting in countless applications !!!!...

Im sooo ready to relocate its not funny.... im starting to hate Atlanta !!!.... matter of fact I can't Stand how hard it is to get a job here....

I've known plenty of people who ran into problems getting a job here... recently aunt who came by a visited she now lives in Atlanta but from NYC .. she said it took 3 years to find a job ....
what the he'll... I dont have that time to waste at a dead end job.... and when she did get a job she worked at a store.... WTF .... and it looks like im on the same path.....why the fuck did I get my degree for if I can't get a fucking good job.... I soo freaking fed up at this point...

Yes i been out of work for a while due to having a child ... its also taking me even longer to find a a fucking job adding to my unemployment time.... but there plenty of women who take time off to be with their kids and find jobs..... WHY CAN'T I FIND A GOOD JOB ????
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DreamLoveBlooms
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

My boyfriend was laid off last Feb and found a job in Oct. The economy just sucks so bad right now.

superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Yea but every time you turn in the news they claim the unemployment rate Is dropping !!!!

Quoting DreamLoveBlooms:

My boyfriend was laid off last Feb and found a job in Oct. The economy just sucks so bad right now.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Alot of people with degrees end up in jobs that they did not get a degree for.

Have you tried outside of your field?

There are some stores like Costco that have good starting pay and benefits and are not open crazy hours.

superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Im don't want to work at a store !!! Why should have to work at a store ???.... I was working at Wal-Mart when I was in college... why I got to work at Wal-Mart with my degree...that sounds sooo backwards !!! Why are the big names companies are not hiring qualified employees to do their work ??? I didnt take out student loans to end up back at Wal-Mart !!!!... its not like im applying for jobs that im not qualified to do !!!!

Quoting virginiamama71:

There are some stores like Costco that have good starting pay and benefits and are not open crazy hours.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL. Not at Walmart but Coscto.

Someone I work at was a teacher, than she left the field after 10 years. She could not get back into the workforce for a year after a year off. Than she got a temp job with us as a receptionist. Making less with a bachelors and Masters. Than she eventually got hired in my department still making less.

She had to get a 2nd job and got hired at Costco. Working parttime she was making more than she was at the fulltime job.

Now she has been promoted to another position in our agency and is where she was when she left teaching. All this in a year and a few months.

costco has Managers making $70k more a year and cashiers do not make little change like Walmart and Target.

It will not be your lifetime job, but it is a start and it gives you money until you get in the field you want to be in.

Quoting superdivamom727: Im don't want to work at a store !!! Why should have to work at a store ???.... I was working at Wal-Mart when I was in college... why I got to work at Wal-Mart with my degree...that sounds sooo backwards !!! Why are the big names companies are not hiring qualified employees to do their work ??? I didnt take out student loans to end up back at Wal-Mart !!!!... its not like im applying for jobs that im not qualified to do !!!!

Quoting virginiamama71:

superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Lol THANKS SOO MUCH !!! For the advice ... this what I needed to hear ... because your absolutely right about taking a job for less pay for a while till I get to where I want to be.. lol im trying to get it in my head but .... it just feel sooo wrong !!! Because I spent so much time and money getting an education and I can't use it to better myself !!!

Quoting virginiamama71:

LOL. Not at Walmart but Coscto.

Someone I work at was a teacher, than she left the field after 10 years. She could not get back into the workforce for a year after a year off. Than she got a temp job with us as a receptionist. Making less with a bachelors and Masters. Than she eventually got hired in my department still making less.

She had to get a 2nd job and got hired at Costco. Working parttime she was making more than she was at the fulltime job.

Now she has been promoted to another position in our agency and is where she was when she left teaching. All this in a year and a few months.

costco has Managers making $70k more a year and cashiers do not make little change like Walmart and Target.

It will not be your lifetime job, but it is a start and it gives you money until you get in the field you want to be in.

Quoting superdivamom727: Im don't want to work at a store !!! Why should have to work at a store ???.... I was working at Wal-Mart when I was in college... why I got to work at Wal-Mart with my degree...that sounds sooo backwards !!! Why are the big names companies are not hiring qualified employees to do their work ??? I didnt take out student loans to end up back at Wal-Mart !!!!... its not like im applying for jobs that im not qualified to do !!!!
Quoting virginiamama71:

Liz402013
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:03 PM
3 moms liked this
Have you posted your resume online? There are several job search sites that allow you to post your resume and employers have access to them. Try looking into: indeed.com, monster.com,careerbuilder.com,jobvertise.com,and jobspider.com. The job market is tough now, but you will find something soon. Think positive thoughts. Good luck!
superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Aww Thanks soo much ... yea I have my resume posted on indeed but not the others... I will post my resume in the other sites as well.. Thanks for the advice ...

Quoting Liz402013: Have you posted your resume online? There are several job search sites that allow you to post your resume and employers have access to them. Try looking into: indeed.com, monster.com,careerbuilder.com,jobvertise.com,and jobspider.com. The job market is tough now, but you will find something soon. Think positive thoughts. Good luck!
sid1083
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 3:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I know quite a few people with Bachelor degrees who work retail - Costco, Claires/Icing, Pottery Barn and they make bank. Keep in mind though, they started near the bottom and used their degrees to advance to manager positions. If you're flexible with your schedule and can be okay with retail hours, you can still do very well for yourself. Good luck!

Ecoseem
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know, I'm going through the same thing.  Being a student and also bound by daycare hours, everyone says that I'm not available for the times that they need employees.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)